cooking times and temp

bdge

Just got my #1. I have tried 3 different cooks. My question is do eletrics require longer cook times? The flavor is great but the texture is tough. Not falling apart like I got my old smoker. Looking for some advice. Thanks

Do you cook by time or internal temp?  I have found everything I cook to be quite tender & juicey, but I live & die by internal temp except ribs, sausage & side dishes.  Tony cooks on a #1 and should be able to point you in the right direction.  Walk us through one of your tough cooks (meat, size, temp setting, brine, rub, etc). Enough eyes will be looking to help figure out the issue.

Glad you reached out to us, bdge.  Give us some specifics so we can help.  What are you cooking, what's your prep, time/temp/amount of wood, etc.  The more details the better.  There's a lot of help here, and we have fantastic results with our smokers.  I know we can help you get on the right track!

If anything, these smokers are easier than "traditional" smokers, and produce Q that is generally more tender and moist than any other smoker.  We'll help - just give us enough info to work with!

I smoked a 1 3/4 # pork roast. I put a dry rub on it and let it sit. I used hickory chip that were soaked. I put it in and set the temp for 220. It reached 170 in 2 hours. The flavor was great nice and smoky. It was just real moist. Couldnt pull it apart like usual. I really like the smoker just trying to figure it out.

Did I read right?  A 1 3/4 lb roast?  I think it would be hard to cook a roast that small for pulled pork.

I'd recommend spending some time in the Pork section checking out recipes for pulled pork.  I'm a fan of the Boston butt cut pork shoulder for pulled pork.  Most of these are at least 8 lbs, and will yield some excellent pulled pork.  Let me know if I read that size wrong.

OK.  What kind of cut is it?  That's really small.  Also, are you monitoring internal temp with a thermometer?  You should be shooting for 200 for pulled pork.

I noticed you said you cooked to 170.  That's a great temp for sliced pork, but too low to pull.  Go to 200 for pulled pork.  Try a bigger Boston butt next time - can't go wrong!

If the roast is lean, you might want to wrap in bacon just for the fat content.  Also, shoot for a higher internal temp like Tony suggested. And by roast, were your referring to a tenderloin? Just asking; great cut of meat.

I dont think he is useing it for pulled pork if he is pulling @ 170 IT.  BDGE, try 200 IT for pulling or something in between, maybe185 if your loking for slices.  We like our roasts falling apart so I usually go for 200 IT.

I would recommend doing a well documented common cook on this site, i.e. ribs, pork butt or brisket.  Follow procedures from beginning (brine, rest, rub, rest, cook, rest, eat).  Once you do this you will get a great idea what these can do.  It will make it easier to adapt to the more uncommon cooks.

Your going to love it once you get dialed in.  Also, no need to soak your wood chunks.  Good luck & hit us up with any other questions.

Well-put, Walt!  Great advice, Bdge.  Go to the recipes section and try to reproduce some of the successful results.  There's great guidance here; just pick one and follow it.  No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel! ;)

Bdge
I agree with my colleagues, go to the recipe section and attempt to replicate.
one suggestion, document your process from beginning to end.
last week I smoked a 7.5# Boston butt and it was very good. I documented my procedure in the post.

Back