Chuck Roast - Beef Pot Pie & Shepherd's Pie

SuperDave

Rather than crowd this in with my freezer cleaning thread I'm going to make this a standalone thread for those of you that like good, cold weather comfort food.  After smoking and braising the chuck roast until it surrendered, I broke it down to small chunks and combined with some hash browns, peas, corn, onion, carrots, mushrooms and gravy that I made from the meat drippings.  I'll give the pictorial and if you have any questions, please, just ask.

Shepherd's Pie:

100_3389_zpsnfjppzpd.jpg

100_3391_zpspqj00vhx.jpg

100_3392_zpsdrl4j0qf.jpg

100_3393_zpszryeeakq.jpg

100_3395_zpsovnyyzbx.jpg

Pot Pie:

100_3397_zpsjutwwqwq.jpg

100_3398_zpslpmk1xme.jpg

Dave,

The weather here in Florida is hot dam hot today!

But your shepherd's pie looks great, if you don't mind, post the step by step recipe.

Thanks Greg

Hey Dave, your missing some nice hot rolls with that pie. Got to love the winter comfort foods. That pie looks really good, did you make the crust from scratch. If not a quick good pie crust is follow the recipe on the Crisco can except use milk instead of water.

Greg,
I'm awful with detailed recipes since I don't really follow one.  It will take approx. a 3# chuck roast to make one pie. 

1) Start meat in the smoker
While meat is cooking
2) Make mashed potatoes
3) Brown some Ore Ida Hash Browns
4) Sautee some mushrooms
5) Steam & chop some carrots
6) Open canned veggies of choice
7) Chop an onion
8) Strain some juices from the meat pan to make regular pan gravy
9) Chop cooled & rested meat
10) Mix all the ingredients and 1/2 fill, cover with half gravy
11) Add more filling and cover with gravy
12) Cover top with layer of mashed potatoes
13) Garnish with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
14) Bake at 350 until top is browned and warm throughout. 

Bill,
I usually make my own for dessert pies but find a Pillsbury ready crust works well for these and is a lot easier with all the rest I've got going on in the smoker and watching football. 

SuperDave said:
Greg,
I'm awful with detailed recipes since I don't really follow one.  It will take approx. a 3# chuck roast to make one pie. 

1) Start meat in the smoker
While meat is cooking
2) Make mashed potatoes
3) Brown some Ore Ida Hash Browns
4) Sautee some mushrooms
5) Steam & chop some carrots
6) Open canned veggies of choice
7) Chop an onion
8) Strain some juices from the meat pan to make regular pan gravy
9) Chop cooled & rested meat
10) Mix all the ingredients and 1/2 fill, cover with half gravy
11) Add more filling and cover with gravy
12) Cover top with layer of mashed potatoes
13) Garnish with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
14) Bake at 350 until top is browned and warm throughout.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for posting the directions for the Shepherd's Pie. I never used to write down my recipes, but found that I can improve them over time. Also when others ask, I don't have to tell them, that I just cook by taste :)

Greg

Dave,

The pot pie looks really excellent.

I have not had one or baked one in a long time. Once it starts to cool off here in another month or so, it will be on my list!

Greg

Mid 90 here today but as soon as it does get cool (it never gets really cold) I'm definitely making one of those! Just an excellent job there Dave!

That looks incredible, Dave!!  Although using that beautiful point for anything other than burnt ends did bring a small tear to my eye. :(

DivotMaker said:
That looks incredible, Dave!!  Although using that beautiful point for anything other than burnt ends did bring a small tear to my eye. :(
No points were injured in the filming of this recipe.  ;)  Chuck roast and stew meat were used for the filling. 

SuperDave said:
Bill,
I usually make my own for dessert pies but find a Pillsbury ready crust works well for these and is a lot easier with all the rest I've got going on in the smoker and watching football.

Hey Dave, I know what you mean as the frozen ones are a lot easier to use in a hurry. The finished pie looks really good.

Back