Chuck Roast Baked Potatoes

SuperDave

Started with a nicely marbled 2.7 lbs chuck roast that I rubbed and put in the smoker at 235 for 3 hours with a couple strips of bacon to help retain some moisture.  Roast was direct on the rack.

Chuck1_zps20nvypsp.jpg

At the 3 hour mark I was at approx. 155 IT.  I pulled the roast off and foil wrapped with the addition of a little beef broth.

Chuck2_zpslf47w9ms.jpg

When the meat is done, I use some of the smoky juices to make my favorite gravy.

Chuck3_zpsxurtxaes.jpg

Chuck4_zpsrpmgjd6p.jpg

Completely load up a baked potato, lay some slices of beef over the top and cover in gravy.

Chuck5_zpswertfspq.jpg

Looks awesome Dave!  Have a question though?  When you pulled the roast at the 3 hr mark (IT 155) and added beef broth and foil wrapped it, did you continue to smoke longer or just let it rest in the broth?  Trying to confirm where you got the "smoky juices" from to make the gravy, as this is definitely something I want to have a go at!  :)  Thanks......Jeff

Jeff, I continued to cook to 192.  The broth and released juices in the pan have a rich savory and smoky flavor.  This is the only way to make gravy. 

Great! Thanks Dave....Wanted to be sure what your completed IT temp was. Also too, what's your wood preference with this Chuck prep and about how many ounces?  Thanks again Dave.

Looks Great.............you smoked unit IT 192........ total time?...........without the broth would it have been a bit dry?

BBQ4YO said:
Looks Great.............you smoked unit IT 192........ total time?...........without the broth would it have been a bit dry?
Total time was about 4 1/2 hours.  "a bit dry" is probably subjective.  I like to foil most all my meats for steam effect, unlike most others here that prefer "no peek" method.  I love the pan juices this provides so it is just part of my standard procedure I guess. 

One last thing Dave.....are you covering with foil the last hour and a half....after you've added the broth?  Or are you just referring to the foil pan, to hold the juices?  Want to make sure I get this right, because I showed my wife your pictures and I'll have a disappointed "camper" if it doesn't turn out as good as yours looks!  ;) 

Thanks for all of the info Dave.......Jeff

Back