Change out wood for Brisket?

dan46n2

I'm going to make some brisket and was wondering if I need to keep changing out the wood when it stops smoking or just start with 2-3 chunks and not replace it?

dan46n2 said:
I'm going to make some brisket and was wondering if I need to keep changing out the wood when it stops smoking or just start with 2-3 chunks and not replace it?

Dan,

For brisket I would use 6 oz. of wood, only added when you fire up your smoker. No need to add it again, or you may end up with bitter tasting meat.  These smokers use a lot less wood than traditional smokers. A good example is a friend of mine that has an LP smoker, he uses over 1/2 bag of wood chunks for a smoke.

P.S. If you don't have a digital scale, buy one, you can very easily add to much wood for this kind of smoker.

If not a can of 6 oz tomato paste weights in at about 7 oz. so you want your chunks to be a bit less in weight.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Wow! 1/2 bag? That's insane to me. I guess I am used to using a little wood at this point. The Keg uses very little as well. I can put 3-4 chunks on a pile of lit lump and it's enough for a long smoke. The SI does the same, a little goes a LONG way ;)

RG said:
Wow! 1/2 bag? That's insane to me. I guess I am used to using a little wood at this point. The Keg uses very little as well. I can put 3-4 chunks on a pile of lit lump and it's enough for a long smoke. The SI does the same, a little goes a LONG way ;)

He also goes through 1/2 tank of LP at least. Paul is very close to buying a #2 or #3. I have been working very hard to bring him over to the dark side of the Lazy Q :)

Greg

I keep straddling the fence.  I didn't feel like taking the cover off the #4 today so did my roast in my old LP smoker.  It does fill the yard with a lot more wonderful smelling smoke. 

Back