Center cut chops

flying smoker

Smoked six 1 1/4" thick center cut chops, with bone.  Total weight 5.5 lbs.  Used approx 3 oz of cherry, apple & persimmon chips (mix from local supplier).  Cooked almost 5 hours before IT of 190.  Box temp bounced between 200-220.  The flavor was good, so I'm pleased with the rub/wood combo, but the chops were a little drier than we would have liked.  This is only the second time I've used the smoker, so I'm still trying to establish some baselines.

I'm guessing one of three things (or a combination) will be suggested.
1. add a water tray
2. brine the chops the night before
3. inject the chops

My plan is to add a water tray next go.  I've heard mixed reviews on brining pork.  I don't have an injector yet and my wife has frozen my play account  :o

I appreciate any advice y'all can throw my way.  We weren't disappointed, just looking to improve as we go forward.

Deron, 1 and 2, but you don't have to brine the night before.  2-3 hours will be enough for chops like that.  There aren't many "mixed results" reviews, around here, about the value of brining pork. ;)  Use this brine, and you'll be glad you did:

Brine for Boston Butt

No need to inject, if you brine.  Be sure to rinse the brine well, pat dry, then add your binder and rub before going in the smoker.  I like to use pure maple syrup as the binder on pork chops/loins/tenderloins, and smoke with maple.  Yum!  Smells like making pancakes when it's smoking!

One more thing - going to 190 didn't help.  No need to go that high on chops - save that temp for pulled pork Boston butts!  Smoke your chops to 145; that's a perfect temp for them!  If the outside isn't done enough, reverse-sear on a hot grill for a couple of minutes.

Thanks Tony.  We'll certainly be smoking chops again soon.  I'll follow your guidance and post the results.  We truly appreciate it!

I also have not seen much for mixed reviews on brining pork or poultry for that matter. I brine all of my pork and poultry and would only smoke without brining if I was in a time crunch with no time to brine.

190 is way to high for chops. 145-150 or so will give you a lot better results next time.

Back