Brisket tuesday

drains

Scored a 9.8 lbs. brisket a couple days back so today seemed about as good as any to introduce it to old hickory (my #3). After a slight trim and injection it was rubbed generously with John Henry stockyard rub and allowed to "get happy" in the fridge. Upon achieving said "happiness" the brisket was loaded into old hickory along with 4ozs of , surprise, hickory chunks. One maverick probe was inserted into the point and one probe was positioned to monitor the temp in the smoker. The temp dial was then set to 225 and I left for work. Upon my return around 10:30 p.m. Internal temp was 183 and smoker temp was 215. Around 12:15 the brisket reached 195 and was promptly pulled and wrapped and rested for 1 hour. Then sliced and wrapped for later consumption by my family who now thinks I know what I'm doing with all this smoker stuff as my wife calls it. Have I got them fooled or what? Yuk yuk yuk! Pics below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 330
That looks pretty fabulous.  Now I'm going to need you to send me a brisket so I can do a cook for comparison  ;D

Thanks guys. I was worried it might be to dry because of how thin the flat was on this brisket but I put the point to the rear and the flat toward the door where I know from experience its cooler. The loaf pan of water helped too. I had a handful of burnt ends that I squirreled away for breakfast this morning. Have a great day everyone!

That looks really good Dale, how long was your total smoke? As you stated you put it on prior to leaving for work and returning around 10:30pm. Just curious. As am leaning towards one of the briskets that I cut into prior to getting the #3.

I so want to do a brisket!  I'll have to look for a sale - the only bad thing about being in Texas, is that the brisket /isn't/ a 'garbage' cut, so it's priced way higher than anywhere else!

Hey Leah, do you have a restaurant depot in your area or maybe a Sam's club? I was getting them at Sams but now I use the restaurant depot. Normally they sell for $3.89 per pound.

elkins20 said:
Hey Leah, do you have a restaurant depot in your area or maybe a Sam's club? I was getting them at Sams but now I use the restaurant depot. Normally they sell for $3.89 per pound.

I know we have Sam's around, but while I never had as bad an experience as Jason, I'm not terribly impressed with them, and I let my membership lapse.

However, yes, I do believe Scott looked up the RD, and we have one down the street ... just need to get moving and get that membership that'll let us in. :)

Hi Bill, total time was almost exactly 12 hrs in the smoker. The brisket was not thick at all and had a very small fat cap so not alot of fat rendering going on. The stockyard rub was a tad overpowering so I'm going back to the pecan rub on the next go round. I've got to try the cherry chipotle soon. Have a good one!

Hey Leah, join the KCBS at $35 per year. On that site you can print out a daily visit coupon. Just a warning, you can spend a ton of money quickly from personnel experience. But, the quality of meat is out of this world. Recently I purchased 3 slabs of St. Louis ribs and they were very meaty, great flavor and fall off of the bone tender. They were my 1st smoke in the #3. I hope yours has good prices on the beef.

Thanks Tony. I plan on brining my next brisket and adding the pink salt to create the faux smoke ring. I want to have a really good brisket for that though. I'm at work so talk to you later.

Back