Brisket This Weekend

jscott

I picked up a 3.5 lb flat today at the grocery store, and I am planning on smoking it this weekend. I am planning on using Divot's butt brine that has worked so well on my pulled pork. Is there a rule of thumb for length of time for brining a brisket, or just 12-14 hours like the butt. Also,  is 195 IT pretty much the consensus? I have read 200 on a few sites in the past. I have smoked plenty of pork, but still relatively green with the beef game. Thanks!

Jeff - a 3.5 lb flat will not cook like a larger brisket.  It's actually very difficult to get a small cut like that to cook right.  Sounds weird, I know, but those little buggers have a mind of their own!  I once did a < 4 lb corned beef flat that took 3 hours per pound!!  I don't know the science behind it, but they are hard to smoke!  I always recommend a packer cut, full brisket, if you can.  You'll be so much more satisfied with the process and results! 

Give your little guy a try, so you'll know, but plan on 2.5 - 3 hours per pound!  Next time, get a 10+ lb packer.

I would suggest a choice brisket and anything over 7 lbs. The prime is an excellent choice but is a bit more expensive than the choice. I had the butcher at Sam's club recommend the choice over the prime cut. He said the choice will come out just as good as the prime. But, you may have to cook it a little longer. I have not done a brisket yet, and for beef just smoked a chuck roast that weighed 4 lbs. I put it on at 4:30 am and pulled it at 3:00pm to let it rest in the cooler double wrapped in foil and then 3 heavy towels. I was very good. 

Well crap.  I was thinking that when I was reading up on everything while I was waiting for the smoker to arrive last year, I saw that several people were smoking the 3-4 lb flat cut.  75% of the time I am just smoking for two, so I didn't want to go all in on a 12 lb packer.  I typically smoke ribs for us, but wanted to give brisket a try.  Then when I am smoking for a larger group, I always stay within my comfort zone with a pork butt (hate to use a big group for a packer test run).

Any suggestions on my brine question?  Also, what can I expect for quality on this little guy?  I am not too concerned with the unpredictable smoke time because we are not on any schedule this weekend, but if it will result in a dried out or tough brisket, I will just let the wife throw it in the oven with some Claude's Brisket Marinade.

jscott said:
Well crap.  I was thinking that when I was reading up on everything while I was waiting for the smoker to arrive last year, I saw that several people were smoking the 3-4 lb flat cut.  75% of the time I am just smoking for two, so I didn't want to go all in on a 12 lb packer.  I typically smoke ribs for us, but wanted to give brisket a try.  Then when I am smoking for a larger group, I always stay within my comfort zone with a pork butt (hate to use a big group for a packer test run).

Any suggestions on my brine question?  Also, what can I expect for quality on this little guy?  I am not too concerned with the unpredictable smoke time because we are not on any schedule this weekend, but if it will result in a dried out or tough brisket, I will just let the wife throw it in the oven with some Claude's Brisket Marinade.

Jeff,

I have not done a small brisket in my #2, but have done a 3 lbs. in my green egg. What I ended up doing was place the brisket in a foil pan and adding juice. I then flipped it several times during the smoke to keep it from drying out. I think in this smoker you could get by without flipping the brisket.

Greg

Jeff,
Don't get too bummed.  90% of the corned beef briskets I smoke to make pastrami are in the 3 - 3.5 lbs range and are good eats.  Maybe not as good as a big one but good nonetheless. 

Hey Jeff, there is a whole section on brines and rubs. Divotmaker has a good recipe for brine.. I personally have not brined anything yet. But, I have done an injection on a chuck roast. The injector I have is the Bayou classic injector. If you do not have one don't worry, also I got mine on ebay. I will add a video that explains injecting a brisket from youtube.  Good luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYodzGOB9o
Also smoke it at 225 instead of what the guy did in the video. I will be doing a 7 pound brisket this weekend. Also Jeff no need to wrap in foil in the SI I will do mine to an internal temp. of 200.

Back