Brisket question

Yes, I do and it helps to keep the moisture level up for the long smoke.  A brisket typically takes 1+ hours/lb to reach an IT of 195-200, so the added moisture will be beneficial.  I use a small loaf pan about half-filled with apple juice (but any liquid will work) and I place the pan right against the side of the wood box.

Stephen, in the 3D, I'd put the flat & point on the same shelf, as high as possible (without hitting the probe).  I'm a fat-cap down guy, if that helps.  Everyone sure has their own opinion on that! ???  If they won't fit on one shelf, put the point below, and the flat up top.

I'll post pics when I can.  But it was delicious.  The flat was a touch dry.  The point was incredible. 

Tony, why don't you separate.  Do you have any issues with the thinner potions of a packer getting over cooked before the thicker part gets to temp??

I don't separate them because the majority is a pretty uniform thickness, and the point meat really helps keep the flat, under it, much more moist.  Depending on the way it's cut, I may get an inch or two of the very tip of the flat that overcooks.  I just chop that up for burnt ends.  I just find the combination works better for me.

Back