Brisket progress question

bjacobs26

I have limited brisket experience and I’m in the middle of a smoke as we speak. I brined a 14lb packer for 10 hrs, did a mustard base, and rub. Threw that beast on last night and just pulled to wrap in butcher paper at 170. It both looks and smells delicious but still has a “tense” feeling when I picked it up. Is this something you would expect to soften over the last few hours?  Really nervous and have a bunch of people coming g over for dinner. Thanks!!

bjacobs26, you are OK let it continue to cook until it hits an internal temp of 195-200 degrees. At 170 your brisket is still going to feel tight. 

As Sarge said, you've hit the stall... it's not even close to done yet.  :)  I personally don't wrap... just let it keep going until hits the internal temp of 195 and you'll be spot on or really, really close.

bjacobs26 said:
Threw that beast on last night and just pulled to wrap in butcher paper at 170. It both looks and smells delicious but still has a “tense” feeling when I picked it up. Is this something you would expect to soften over the last few hours?  Really nervous and have a bunch of people coming g over for dinner. Thanks!!

Back