Brisket Franklin style

es1025

I am trying aaron franklin's method..

Dalmation rub equal parts kosher salt and course black pepper.

Smoking at 250 and going to wrap in parchment paper at 160. Dont have butcher paper. At the wrap going to spritz with worcestershire sauce and water mixture.

Final IT 190.

Water pan as well. 4 oz of wood. No injection.

I saw this recipe on youtube bbq with franklin.

Another test for the auber.

That's about as traditional as Texas brisket gets, Ed!  Can't wait to hear the results.  Doing a flat or packer?

The flat took almost 7 hours to hit 195.
I wrapped at 165. Used 3.25 oz of cherry wood.
The parchment paper worked fine and held the bark. I spritzed with 1/8 cup of worcestershire and 1/8 cup of H2O at wrapping.

This brisket was the best I ever made.  The bark was perfect and the meat was tender and juicy.  I strongly recommend this method especially with dalmatian rub.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• WP_20140713_17_39_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140713_17_39_29_Pro.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 554
  • WP_20140713_18_08_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140713_18_08_18_Pro.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 564
You won't be disappointed.  I am going to get some butcher paper.  The parchment paper worked fine bet was not wide enough.  It was amazing that the meat tasted better than when I injected.  I should add I let the met rest one hour prior to smoking not sure if that made a difference.

Maybe I found the secret to great brisket.

Thank you Mr. Franklin.

That looks great. Your system is very similar to how my friend does brisket on her Trager Pellet grill. Excellent results.

Gonna try this tomorrow.
Could only find brown Kraft paper.
Would this work for the butcher paper?
Looks the same.

Thanks.

Tex

Hey Ed, the brisket looks great. Was the Worcestershire sauce 50-50 with water? I about to smoke a ham so I probably won't try this for a couple of weeks.

Smoked a 2# flat today. Yesteday put the flat in the dalmatian rub wrapped and sent to the fridge until this morning.

Pulled the little guy out and let sit out for an hour.

Smoked with 3.5 oz of cherry. Wrapped with parchment paper and foil. Spritzed 1/4 cup of water and worcestershire. Smoked at 250 for five hours, pulled out at 195.

Very pleased, great flavor and juicy.

I believe the overnight rest allows the salt to penetrate the meat and provided a juicer product.

es1025 said:
Smoked a 2# flat today.

Wow.  Bet that was a cute little sucker!  lol.  Down south, we'd call that a "steak."  ;D  What amazes me is that it took 5 hours! Wow!  Glad it turned out great - I'm just poking a little fun 'cause it was so little! ;) 

Back