Brisket cap up or down discussion

SuperDave

Since brisket is one of the milestone smokes for a lot of guys, I'd like to open a discussion about the idea of fat cap up or fat cap down.  I trimmed up a large packer this morning and decided to straddle the fence on the debate of up or down.  I shaved very thin fat layers off the cap to start and plan on placing that thin layer on the top side of the brisket with the cap side down in the smoker.  I have always been a fat cap up guy but willing to try the fat cap down for heat protection.  I just don't want to lose the fat rendering into the meat from the top.  The term, "experiment" is the word of the week here this week. 

Dave, here is a good read on the subject:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_fat_caps.html

Thanks Edward.  That covers at least part of the science behind what the fat cap does or doesn't do.  At a minimum, I look at fat cap like chicken skin or spritzing meat.  I believe that the layer helps prevent meat dry out.  If this is accepted as fact by most who smoke meat, the argument has always been which side up or down does the most benefit.  I'm proposing an option of trying it both ways by transferring some fat to the other side. 

I've always been fat cap up, but I can see the benefits of fat cap down with the SI. I love your idea of fat cap down, then use the trimmings/shavings on the top to melt into the meat. Why toss them out?

Can't wait to hear your results, Dave!  I've tried both methods, but never put trimmings on top...good idea!  To me, the fat cap down just makes common sense, in an SI smoker.  Instead of placing the naked side of the brisket directly above the heat source, you place the shielding fat layer there.  You just may be on to something with your "hybrid" method!

I have done the rain forest before...

Top shelf a layer of uncooked fat from a leftover smoke.

Then the next shelf packer or pork shoulder fat down.

To be perfectly honest ... I couldn't tell a difference.

Like Divot says, with an SI because they keep all the moisture so well contained, it's more about the cut of meet, was it frozen, the brine, etc.

But I'm all for an experiment!!!

Okay, just came out of the smoker and feels jiggly and wonderful.  You can see how the thin fat badges turned out on the back side.  I'm curious to try them when it is done resting.

brisketcapdown_zpsszmzhkq4.jpg

Just took a sample taste and had a foodgasm, melt in your mouth.  I can give a few other details about the smoke rather than a whole new thread.  I tried a different injection after digging through the pantry.  I found an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix.  I made it with beef broth rather and water, added some garlic and a TBSP of Worcestershire sauce.  The rub was liberal garlic, onion, salt & pepper.  Smoke temp was 225 from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and then 235 from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.  Finish temp was 192 in the thick. 

capdown3_zpsucemwi0t.jpg

Brisket fat caps need to be down. Fat caps often need to be trimmed to reduce the mass (thickness) I try to keep it less than 1/2 inch of fat for a 205 temp 16 hour smoke.

Timing like this allows the fat to render to the point you have a thin edge of fat on every slice. While some folks may find that unappetizing it is not a problem just get those negative people out of your life. Properly done you have the thin fat edge on one surface and nice bark on the opposite side.

The only negative I see to your trim and stack the fat method is it affects the bark you would get on the meat side, but if your happy it isn't a problem.

"I love your idea of fat cap down, then use the trimmings/shavings on the top to melt into the meat. Why toss them out?"

At least in cool weather, I put the fat trimmings in a suet feeder and give it to the birds.  They love it, and it gives them lots of calories to help stay warm through long, cold winter nights.  At least they are long and cold in my neck of the woods.

Back