Brined vs. Injected butt?

SuperDave

What's your opinion?  One of my buddies had me over for a pork butt and he injected it rather than brining it.  It was one of the better butts I've had and was impressed with the juiciness from the injection.  He miscalculated his cook time and turned the heat up over 300 for the last couple of hours and it still turned out great.  Next butt might have to go brisket style and brine + inject. 

I've done both, but prefer brining, hands-down.  Unlike a brisket, a Boston butt has meat that tenderizes much more easily to start with.  Plus, there is good internal fat and connective tissue in a butt that renders down to aid in moisture and tenderness.  I find the brine I use adds good flavor, and does what a brine does best: help retain even more moisture.  Injecting doesn't effect the surface of the meat like a brine, so you don't get the molecular reaction (modified protein molecules near the surface) that makes brining work.

+1 what Tony said...???...lol. I used to inject. Once I started brining, I now only inject brisket after brining. I have found the brining gives a more even flavor throughout the meat. The juiciness is also good with just injecting though.

This thread is perfect timing for me. I just received my new injector and I plan to use it on a in the next day or so on a butt.

After reading the thoughts here, I will brine it first and then inject before smoking.

Thanks Greg

When I 1st started brineing & injecting briskets, it was geneally considered redundant or overkill. Now many members have embraced it, incuding our fearless leader. Give it a try an see if the results are equally as dramatic.

I have done both & it makes for a great butt. I always brine & inject brisket.  Now for butts I stuff with garlic, inject, coat with yellow mustard & cane syrup, apply rub, smoke for approximately 5 hours, remove & place in dutch oven & cover with 3 diced onions, place in fridge overnight & braise in oven the next day until falling apart. My girls dont want me to cook it any other way. Smokey & moist. The stock makes for a great french onion soup.

There is a thousand ways to skin a cat.

Walt said:
When I 1st started brineing & injecting briskets, it was geneally considered redundant or overkill. Now many members have embraced it, incuding our fearless leader. Give it a try an see if the results are equally as dramatic.

I have done both & it makes for a great butt. I always brine & inject brisket.  Now for butts I stuff with garlic, inject, coat with yellow mustard & cane syrup, apply rub, smoke for approximately 5 hours, remove & place in dutch oven & cover with 3 diced onions, place in fridge overnight & braise in oven the next day until falling apart. My girls dont want me to cook it any other way. Smokey & moist. The stock makes for a great french onion soup.

There is a thousand ways to skin a cat.

Walt,

Mostly you want a real sharp knife for the cat, just kidding :)

I have also finished in the oven, it makes timing easier. I plan to pull the butt out of the brine around 7:00 tonight, that will be 12 hours. Then inject and put in before I go to bed tonight, I will let you know how it turns out.

Greg

Greg,

If you're going to brine and inject a butt, use a low-salt injection.  The brine is like the "seal" for the surface of the meat, but does add a little salt, so the injection should be more for flavor than saltiness.  Just my 2¢...  Btw - Walt's The Man when it comes to the combo brine/inject on a briskie! 

DivotMaker said:
Greg,

If you're going to brine and inject a butt, use a low-salt injection.  The brine is like the "seal" for the surface of the meat, but does add a little salt, so the injection should be more for flavor than saltiness.  Just my 2¢...  Btw - Walt's The Man when it comes to the combo brine/inject on a briskie!

For the injection no salt will be added, since it is in the brine.

Posting the process next.

Thanks Greg

Back