Brined ribs?

travis

I was talking to a guy who I know is really into smoking and sausage making and he was telling me not to bother with the 3 2 1 rib method.  The method he uses is to brine the ribs for 24 hrs then onto the smoker they go.  He says let them go for 5 hrs and check.  I am going to try it out on my SI3 on sunday.  Just wondering if anybody has tried doing ribs this way.

That's pretty much how many of us do it.  Some brine some don't but most have let go of the 321 when useing one of these.  I usually do a light sauce @ 5 hours @ 225 then let it go another 30 to 45 min.  We like the meat fallen off the bone. Also use a pan with juice.

Hi Travis,

If you spend much time here, you probably know I'm a pretty big briner.  I always brine large cuts (like Boston butts and loins), but seldom brine ribs.  I occasionally do, but actually prefer baby backs unbrined.  I use the "no peeky" method with a juice pan, and the ribs are always great.  I'd suggest trying it both ways, and see which you prefer.

Hey Tony. I'm curious why you don't brine your ribs? Or are you keeping it a secret so you don't scew Travis's test of the two methods?

I'm just wondering what the pros/cons are of brining ribs.

No secrets here, Gregg! ;)  I guess it's that there's just not enough meat on ribs to make it worth the extra effort.  In all actuality, I guess I actually "dry brine" them.  Since I apply rub, them wrap/rest in the fridge overnight, it becomes a dry brine.  Since there's salt in the rub, it accomplishes the same reaction with the protein molecules in the meat.  Ribs just don't require a long liquid brine due to the small amount of meat, in my opinion.

Using the rub/rest overnight method, my ribs are always very moist, so I don't like to mess with a technique that works well for me.

That makes sense. Thanks Tony.

I have been doing the same dry brining process and have had excellent results.

If I am going to cook a large cut (like butt) & ribs, I brine both the cuts together then let her sit in the binder / rub for a couple days.  If only ribs, I usually do a 72 hr rest in a binder / rub with a spritz of apple cider vinegar.

Walt said:
If I am going to cook a large cut (like butt) & ribs, I brine both the cuts together then let her sit in the binder / rub for a couple days.  If only ribs, I usually do a 72 hr rest in a binder / rub with a spritz of apple cider vinegar.

...Says the guy dry-aging steaks for 35 days. lol. ;D  Walt has a LOT more patience than the rest of us here.  Waiting 3 days for ribs would make me insane.  The moisture is great just with an overnight rub/rest, so I can't see the extra 2 days (my opinion, only).  I think the rub penetrates the small amount of meat in ribs within about 12 hours, so I'm not sure the extra days would really add more.  And, if you vacuum-pack the ribs while they are resting, the dry brine penetrates the meat faster, so you get an acceleration effect.  I usually FoodSaver mine, but see the same end results just wrapping in plastic.

wow.  I have three teens in the house.  My wife tells me at noon that I'm cookin ribs so I head to the store, buy, prep, and am cooking by 1PM.

I can't see more than 24hrs out.

its the reason I bought an electric cooker.

Back