Brine vs. Rub

GSDC

I found out today that I've been "elected" to host a family July 4th cookout.  Naturally, everyone wants the SI bbq  (I've sold a number of these units after people have sampled its great Q).  I have a 7 pound Boston Butt.  Typically, I like to brine these in Tony's brine recipe for 12+ hours, then apply rub, wrap, and sit in the fridge for another 12+ hours before putting on the smoker.  I don't have this kind of time today.  Which would you prefer - brining in the time I have then applying a last minute rub before placing in the smoker or not brining at all but allowing the rub to "soak" into the meat while wrapped in the fridge overnight?

Brine.

Here's my logic... Let it brine for 12 hours... That's enough.

Then... Pat dry, apply rub...and let it sit for 30 minutes just to set up.

This won't produce the best bark... But you get the moisture plus some of the rub flavor too.

Thanks, Polish.  That's what I kind of figured, but I wanted to see what the experts on this forum had to say.  I learn so much from you guys.  I've just put the butt in the brine.  I'll be getting up EARLY in the AM to put on some rub then get it on the smoker to be ready for supper tomorrow night.  My #1 takes quite a while to get to temp....my butts have been cooking at 2 to 2.5 hours per pound to get to 195 IT with the unit set at 225, so if I'm wanting to serve this around 6:30pm, I'll need to get it on somewhere in the wee hours of the morning to get to temp and leave some time for rest before pulling.  Can't wait.

I would also brine for the 12 hours and rub at the last minute. That's how I did my last one and it turned out great.

Glenn, I brine for 12 hours, remove from brine, rinse with cold water, dry, slather in mustard & rub, then into the smoker.  Perfect meat - AND bark - every time!  Poultry or bacon benefits from a drying session after brine, but not a pork butt.  Keep it moist inside, rub and smoke.  That simple!

It just so happens I just put a 10 lb pork loin in the briner jr. and it's starting to smell good already! Can't wait till tomorrow.

Thanks guys.  I put the butt in the smoker at 2am this morning.  Its currently at 176 IT.  It'll probably finish in 3-4 more hours, which is a little faster than I had anticipated, but will put me in the 4-hour, resting-in-the-cooler window before pulling to serve for supper tonight.  Now that Hurricane Arthur has passed, its a beautiful 4th of July here in coastal South Carolina and I'm stoked for some good bbq.  It smells so awesome.

Sounds good, Glenn!  Good that Arthur wasn't too bad for you!  It's probably cooking faster because you didn't let the brine seep out of the meat for another 24 hours.  Brining typically reduces cook time.

It turned out great, Tony.  It rested for a few hours in the cooler but came out piping hot, juicy and delicious.  Leftovers for lunch!

Back