Breakfast Fatty

Grampy

Today I made my first breakfast fatty! I started off with 1-1/5 lbs of thick cut bacon and made a bacon weave. Then I rolled a pound of Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage inside a gallon zip lock bag with the corners cut off to allow air to escape and rolled it out flat. Then I put down a layer of cheese, mushrooms, jalapenos and scrambled eggs. I hit it with a dusting of my homemade rub and rolled up the sausage fatty and then wrapped in the bacon weave. Put it in my SI#2 at 225 degrees for about 3 hours with 2 ounces of hickory until it hit an IT of 165. Stuck it under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the bacon. This turned out great! My wife loved it.

Attachments

• Bacon Weave.jpg
    Bacon Weave.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 462
That fatty looks amazing Jimmy. The sky is the limit with these smokers. Thanks for the step by step....putting it on the list.

Court

tmb said:
OH yes!!  I love to make them when Kimmie and I go camping

I go camping (well to the season camper site) pretty much every weekend in the summer and would like to try this there. Do you make your fatties ahead of time? Or do you make them there? I like to do as much of my meal prep at home and then just have to cook out at the camper. I wonder how this would work?

NDKoze said:
tmb said:

I go camping (well to the season camper site) pretty much every weekend in the summer and would like to try this there. Do you make your fatties ahead of time? Or do you make them there? I like to do as much of my meal prep at home and then just have to cook out at the camper. I wonder how this would work?

Gregg, I don't see a problem with making ahead of time and then cooking at the camp site. I always make mine the morning I plan on cooking it and wrap it in plastic warp and put in back in the refrigerator until I am ready to cook it later in the day. The extra time in the refrigerator/cooler actually helps the fatty to firm up and hold together better. So it should work out great.

Grampy said:
NDKoze said:
tmb said:

Gregg, I don't see a problem with making ahead of time and then cooking at the camp site. I always make mine the morning I plan on cooking it and wrap it in plastic warp and put in back in the refrigerator until I am ready to cook it later in the day. The extra time in the refrigerator/cooler actually helps the fatty to firm up and hold together better. So it should work out great.

I have to try this this camping season. I'm not sure if I'll haul the #3 out for this or not. It might get done on the side boxed stick burner that I have out at the lake place. Eventually, I'm going to have to get another SI for the lake. Dang ;)

Gregg, I'm willing to bet that smoked at home, sliced and fried in a skillet at the lake to put a little crust on it would be easy and equally fantastic.

Back