Brand New Smoker from Ohio!!!

TigerTownBBQ

Wife got me the SI#1 for Christmas! I have been wanting to smoke for years now but have been hesitant because I pride myself in bringing nothing but good eats to the table and know nothing about smoking... I just put a small whole chicken into the smoker on night 2 after seasoning it on Christmas day. I want to do a brisket next and a pork loin for New Years....any and all pointers would be appreciated!!

Howdy TigerTownBBQ and welcome to the forum!

Keep reading keep smoking and keep refining and you'll do fine sir.

Just post up and share your results, recipes, techniques and pictures as you gain experience.

Great gals and guys around here so don't be bashful to ask for help if you run up against an unknown.

John

Welcome to the family, TigerTownBBQ!  Don't fret...  read some of the basics here and you'll almost have to try to mess anything up.  :)  I just did another brisket, so give me a yell if my other other's posts on here don't get you started.

Welcome TigerTownBBQ from SE Arizona.  You will get a lot of information from the recipe section so that is a great place to start. Regarding chicken, do not expect crispy skin. That can only be had at temperatures higher than that required for smoking.  Enjoy!

Welcome from Delaware!  You have found the right place and the forums are full of great recipes that will lead to smoking success.  You can't wrong with the #1 and I am confident that you will produce excellent smoked meat.  Don't hesitate to post any questions and I know the folks here will get back to you with good advice.  Cheers

Welcome TigerTown from Canton, OH.  Started out on a Model#1 myself a few years ago.  You're going to love it!!! 

You know, if "TigerTown" refers to Massillon, I just might follow my nose to your place when that smoker is fired up!!!

Happy smoking and Happy New Year!!!

Joe... Of course Tiger Town refers to the City of Champions aka Massillon, Ohio!!!

Two quick questions in regards to the SI#1.... Do I refill the wood every hour or so? Ive read other electric smokers suggest you do.
How do I know how many ounces of wood I am putting in?

Good questions .... buy a small digital scale. They are around $20. on amazon.
Most often you'll start and end with the same amount of wood and almost never add wood during the smoke and the forums adage is ... open the door once to put meat in and once to take the finished meat out ... that's general it on the wood    Amounts do vary in degrees based on general guidelines and personal choices. There are a number sources within the forum for wood choices and amounts along with refinement techniques. All good reading!

A small digital scale is very helpful for determining the amount of wood you are using.  The SI smokers don't need a lot of wood...I usually smoke in the 3-6oz for wood (or 1-2 wood chunks).    You will not need to add more wood during any smokes...start with the 3-6ozs depending on your smoke preference and duration of the smoke, fill the box once and forget it.

No refilling of wood with the SI's. Follow the recommendations for ounces of wood for your smoke added to the box at the beginning, and that's it. Bradley and MES with the constant adding of wood are just a gimmick in my opinion. Trying to sell their wood products. No need to buy special pucks or pellets for the SI.

Welcome Tigertown BBQ!
What a great Xmas present, you must have been really good this year!

I think you will enjoy your S1, I started with a S1 and now have a 3d.
Best Greg

Back