Bought my first clod

SuperDave

I went to Cash & Carry last night with an open mind to picking up a piece of beef and letting what looked good make my decision.  As much as I've been wanting to do a beef clod, I've had a hard time justifying a 25 pound hunk of meat.  Well, I found a 17 pounder that I could convince myself was just cooking a big packer brisket.  I plan on starting the smoke on Friday morning and see where it goes from there time wise.  Details and pics will be forthcoming.

I am looking forward to this! I've debating on buying a clod for years, now you can be the guinea pig, lol!

Let the preparation begin.  Started by removing silver skin on bottom side and trimming fat cap on the top side.  Now it is resting in a cooler with brine overnight.
beefclod1_zps8nqsqkzc.jpg

beefclod2_zpsem1zy2lc.jpg

beefclod3_zps2yahrw5v.jpg

Brined, injected and now taking a nap in the smoker.

Clod, GOSP & some Kirkland mesquite seasoning.

beefclod4_zpsmr8ewazr.jpg

Pork Butt, Great Basin Rub, garlic powder, onion powder & brown sugar.

pork1_zps3lffjpmz.jpg

Hey Dave, what size is the butt and how long and to what temp to have it ready to go? Still 195? I am interested in a clod so I can't wait to see your results. Do you know how that stacks up with a steamship round?

Bob, the butt will be pulled and the clod is sliced like a brisket.  I will take the butt closer to 200 and the clod to 195.  I can not compare to a steamship round as I have not had that cut and since this is my first clod, I'm excited as everyone else to see the results. 

Butt was an 8 lber and I'm going to assume 3 to 4 hours to hit my finish temp. 

Just pulled the clod at 170 to reserve for finish tomorrow and couldn't resist a taste test.  I find myself speechless other than,
omg-smiley-face.gif

Unfreaking believable!

beefclod5_zpsdz1vy7av.jpg

beefclod7_zpsp6zsbsdr.jpg

Seriously guys, I'm not remembering a piece of beef ever feeling like this in my mouth.  This is holiday meal status for me now. 

I've not heard of that but it sure likes mighty good. Looks like a good party hunk of meat. So, would you say it's done at 170 then and ready for consumption? Or are you finishing it to 195 still?

The party was a hit and all the food was well received.  Just a couple last shots of the meat before it went to the lions.

beefclod8_zpsstetgipr.jpg

pork3_zps9jpcweaa.jpg

Tman,
I took it to 195 today.  I think since this was my first crack at this, I'd say that 195 was great but that I might try 185 next time.  I still think that the marbled tip was worth the price of the whole cut. 

gregbooras said:
Dave,

What temp did you put it in the oven and how long did it take to come up to 195 degrees.

Thanks Greg
I put it in the SI at 250 and it took a little over 5.5 hours to get to 195.  The pork butt finished about a half hour before the beef, which I had cut in half when it was cold so the pieces were approximately the same size as the butt. 

Back