Boston Butts in a #4 Great Bark!

Phat termite

OK, I think I have finally got this thing down, I have had my smoker for a little over a week and have cooked in it almost everyday, I'm still working on my salmon timing but I think I have the butts & ribs down. Trusting the thing has been my biggest hurdle, the times and temps are much different than my BGE's. So, here is what I did:
Salted (kosher) the butts and left them out for 1 hour, I then rubbed "Memphis Dust" all over them and covered with plastic wrap (putting them in fridge) for 5 hours, I put the butts in the cooker at 10:00 PM @ 225 degrees, woke up the next morning & checked on them... 6:00 AM meat at 160, went to play golf and got home at 12:45, meat @ 179, watched a little football, took a nap, worked a little in the yard @ 3:45 the butts were at 186 so I bumped the temp up to 250... @ 6:45, I shut her down with the meat @ 203, I like to pull at 205, 45 later minutes the meat was at 205... I opened the door and found the 2 of the best looking pork butts you ever saw. They came out perfect, Great BARK, fantastic flavor. I used apple wood and did NOT use a water pan, I never opened the door until I took them out after 22 hours of cooking and 1 hour of sitting with no heat. Happy Smokin!

Mike

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 2A.jpg
    2A.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 3A.jpg
    3A.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 325
I had bark like that on the butt I did yesterday, too!  First time using Memphis Dust, and was really impressed with the bark you get from it - best of anything I've tried!

Back