Boston butt, where to buy

bogeyjim

Brand new to this world and my #2 is arriving on Monday.  Thought I'd do a Boston butt for first smoke, so here is the newbie question.  Where do I buy one?  Read an old thread that I can go to the local butcher, but I assume that will come at a premium cost.  Also read that the warehouse stores sell them.  I'm a Costco member, but read an old thread that there's were boneless.  Anyone know if that's still the case?  Anxious to get started.

No idea where you are from, but I was just at Costco on Thursday and was looking at them myself. They were $1.99# and were boneless. So I passed on them.

Most supermarkets have butts. I prefer bone in.  My son gets his from Costco and they are boneless.  No difference is taste that I have ever noticed.

I've started seeing bone-in butts at costco, though I get mine from Gordon Food Service. If you have BBQ joints nearby ask them where they get their meat, usually they'll share.

I just smoked a boneless Costco pork shoulder over the weekend which turned out fine.  I folded the meat and tied it like a roast.  Smoked it overnight starting at midnight.  Pulled and rested it the next afternoon and it pulled apart easily.  I asked one of the butchers at Costco if they carry a bone in shoulder but was told no.

I just smoked a 9 lb bone in Boston Butt I got at Sam's club for $11.  It was so good and very little waste

I have bought them at Costco  and GFS.  Kroger sells bone in.  My thought is why pay for the bone.  I have tried both and there is no taste difference that we could note. 

Back