Boston Butt Advice After Overnight Smoke

locke

Did my 2nd smoke in my model 1 overnight last night 7PM to 7AM, Smoked a HUGE bone in pork butt that i brined and dry rubbed. smoked at 210 for 12 hours. 
I was in a hurry this morning on the way to work, so all i had time to do was: take it out of the smoker, wrap in foil, take the internal temp (163 degrees), and put in the fridge. 

I didn't remember till now (after research) that closer to 200 degrees is the right internal temp to get a butt to shred easily. 

My question: Do i put it back in the smoker or oven and re-cook to get the internal temp up to 200 so it will shred easily?  or will this dry out the meat, now that it has sat in the fridge all day?

The piece i cut off to taste test was pretty tasty, so i could always slice it up or get a workout and try and use brute force to shred as is.

I came from using propane smokers, and after getting sick of babysitting the temperature knob, i know I'll love my model one and know that each smoke will get better after my learning curve.

Hi Locke!  Welcome!  This is kind of a unique problem!  First, I'd recommend 225 temp setting for pork butts.  210 just takes way too long, and really won't benefit it any.  Yes, 199-203 is the best internal temp for pulled pork; 175 for sliced. 

So, what to do with your frigid butt now?  I would say, that if it's been wrapped tight all day, I'd probably throw it back in at 240 and bring it up to 200 IT.  You may sacrifice a bit of moisture, but the brining should help with that.  I'd give it a shot!  You won't be able to pull it at 163, unless you put it in a food processor. ;)

Hey thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!  I'm gonna give it a shot. 

I can't want for the weather to turn so i can actually enjoy the smoker more often.  the first two times i've used it, its been 0 degrees and 7 degrees out.  I actually contemplated using it inside the house on my hearth and letting the smoke go up the chimney, but the model 1 kept up just fine outside with the low temps.  Glad it did because my hearth idea probably wouldn't have worked and my lady would have killed me if I smoked up the house with delicious meat smoke.

Hi Locke,

Welcome to the Smokin-It Forum!

I hear you on the cold. One of my favorite parts of smoking is being able to sit on the deck and smell the fragrant wood smoke infusing with rendering pork/beef fat.

This has taken some of the enjoyment out of my smokes.

I am going to really test my #3 out on Thursday night with a Boston Butt smoke as lows are projected around -15. However, my last butt smoked at around 0 and I didn't have any problems. So, hopefully this one will work out well too.

I hope your reheat works well.

Locke,  another thing you might try is reheat it like some of the prepackaged refrigerated BBQ from the store (like Sadler's Smokehouse whole briskets).  Put a little apple juice in foil, then double-wrap it (heavy-duty foil).  Insert your temp probe, and let it go to 200 wrapped the whole time.  Your bark will be softer, but you've already infused about all the smoke you're going to.  The meat will be much more moist.  No wood needed, just heat.

NDKoze said:
Hi Locke,

Welcome to the Smokin-It Forum!

I hear you on the cold. One of my favorite parts of smoking is being able to sit on the deck and smell the fragrant wood smoke infusing with rendering pork/beef fat.

This has taken some of the enjoyment out of my smokes.

I am going to really test my #3 out on Thursday night with a Boston Butt smoke as lows are projected around -15. However, my last butt smoked at around 0 and I didn't have any problems. So, hopefully this one will work out well too.

I hope your reheat works well.

Gregg, good for you!  Personally, if it ever gets -15 in Arkansas, the only butt I'll be smoking is MINE up against the heater!! ;D

I here ya Tony. I normally wouldn't but I am having poker night at my house and I kind of volunteered to make it.

I "re cooked" it in the oven last night, set at 240. unwrapped set next to a pan of water.  Woke up at 4AM and the IT was exactly 200.  it had a crispy shell, seemed moist enough, and was "fall apart" easy to shred.  Made the house smell awesome too. 

One of my favorite things to do with the smoked shredded pork besides snack on it is make chipotle enchiladas.  Hands down the best enchiladas i've ever had.  Substitute the chicken for the shredded pork in this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-enchiladas-recipe.html

Good luck with your sub-arctic smoke, and Thanks Guys!

I am glad to hear that it turned out well.

That enchilada idea sounds good.

One of the other things I have wanted to try if I can ever have some leftovers :) is to get a plain cheese pizza with barbecue sauce from Papa Murphy's and top with leftover pulled pork.

Back