Binder question

Bugman

Question from Bugman,
Smoked first pork butt a couple of weeks ago but did not use a binder before the rub. Seemed okay. I’ve been reading forum and now see that binder is put on first. Should binder be mustered or oil and how much binder. Is the binder rub on, bushed on? There was quite a bit or residue that dropped on the smoke box on first smoke. Not sure if this was because I didn’t use a binder.
Still reading about brines???

Thanks

I think I did a binder on the first butts I did (mustard or oil... can't remember).  Since then I've skipped it and haven't really seen any reason to go back.  Of course, ymmv.  If you're having your rub just fall off then you might need a binder of some kind.

I have settled on the cheapest mustard I can find (or whatever mustard is on the refrigerator door).
I brush it around with a silicone brush, which cleans real easily.  You cannot taste the mustard  at the end of the smoke.

My preference is a 50 / 50 mix of yellow mustard & cane syrup. However, mustard or evoo works quite well alone.

Appreciate all the info on the binder question. Getting ready to prep the pork butt for the #2D. Big 4th of July celebration tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bugman

Back