Big Spares 3 2 2

jcboxlot

Large fat/thick one end full slab spare rubs.  Great taste with the Oakridge and “Awake a Steak” on each 1/2.  Flap cut off back and membrane pulled off, tip cut off.

These ended up being 3- 2 -2 style

Step “2” was a new try, take out after 3 hours un-wrapped @230 on the smoker, then meat side down with honey and brown sugar foiled up for 2 hours.  Taste worked out great.

Step 3 for hour and ½ was uncovered with sauce on top.

My spares still turn out like pork chops on bone, but I’m getting the taste down right even after a year with this machine.

I’ve yet to achieve pull off the bone in this smoker.  Does anyone boil or something first? For that to happen.

Leftovers on the gasser tomorrow for the thick part will be great.

Attachments

• big_spare1.jpg
    big_spare1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 295
  • big_spare2.jpg
    big_spare2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 285
  • big_spare3.jpg
    big_spare3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 249
  • big_spare4.jpg
    big_spare4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 278
  • big_spare5.jpg
    big_spare5.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 257
John,

The ribs look really good.

Also, while this is the Lazy Q smoking, I think it good to experiment and see if you can improve on the end results.

Greg

I've managed to get fall off the bone in the #2 without doing anything crazy... Without wrapping in foil even. You've just got to let them go until they're ready. These days, I go by "the bend" as the check for doneness.

va_rider said:
I've managed to get fall off the bone in the #2 without doing anything crazy... Without wrapping in foil even. You've just got to let them go until they're ready. These days, I go by "the bend" as the check for doneness.

I agree I don't wrap my ribs either and they turn out great. I did pick up some beef ribs and this will be my first time smoking them. Brian suggested around 7 hours.

Greg

As usual, much better day after on the gasser at low heat.  These were the larger end.  Good to cook off some of the extra fat.

Attachments

• big_spare6.jpg
    big_spare6.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 242
Back