Beef Short Ribs

BedouinBob

I have a friend from Kenya and he really loves meat so I promised him a feed. I took a few short rib plates and rubbed them with dalmatian rub, garlic powder, and parsley flakes. Dalmatian to garlic was about 2 to 1. I let them rest for about an hour or so and then into the smoker with 6.5 oz red oak and a pan of apple juice. Seven hours later, below is the result. They were really juicy and tasty. Shared the goods with a bunch of friends. Made a nice supper for Memorial Day.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 410
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 428
Great looking ribs meal Bob! and I'm sure your friends were duly impressed.  I've never done beef ribs but I like the K.I.S.S. aspect of your rub and recipe:)

Very nice, Bob!!  Curious - what temp did you smoke them to?  I noticed one looked kind of pink in the pic.  I've done these once, and took them to 190, like brisket.  I would be thrilled if they could smoked to a more medium finish! 

Thanks for the great pics of the folks enjoying your handiwork! 8)

Thanks guys! I took them up to about 185 IT. They were probably a medium if I was comparing it to steak. But, they were very tender. It took about 7 hours to get there since I had 4 rib plates in my #2. They kind of shrink and "swell" so that they are really touching between the racks. I offset them so they wouldn't mess each other up but my smoker was definitely full.  :)

Thanks Bob - 185 sounds like a good temp, next time I can find these!  Sam's hasn't had them again since I bought the first batch there!  I hate it when they only stock something for a short time! 

I never find them in stock but have to ask for them from the meat guy. I usually get a cryo pack because they are cheaper.  :)

Back