Beef Plate Ribs in my new #3D

gregbooras

Yesterday, I did my first plate ribs in my new 3d.

I brined the ribs for 4 hours, applied Morton quick tender for 30 minutes rinsed and then applied rub and put in the refrigerator uncovered overnight.

In the morning I placed them in the smoker at 250 degrees with 3.2 oz. post oak and 1.5 oz. pecan for 8 hours. I then removed the ribs and placed them in a disposable foil pan, covered with foil and back in the smoker for 1 hour (smoker set to 150 degrees).

The ribs were very tasty, but could have gone longer. I noticed that Franklin pulls his around 203, so next time I will go a bit higher on the finish temp. Overall a good dinner along with some homemade beans and biscuits.

I saved the fatty part and will make burnt ends in the next day or so.

Greg

Hey Bob,

They are fun to make even more fun to share with folks. I plan to do these for our next guest in our new home, most folks have never seen these before, unless you are from Texas!

Greg

I noticed that Franklin pulls his around 203,

I would suspect he says 203 as a guideline, but like brisket I would bet he pulls them out when the are loose. To me it matters less than flexibility, give the bones a wiggle.

Pork Belly said:
I noticed that Franklin pulls his around 203,

I would suspect he says 203 as a guideline, but like brisket I would bet he pulls them out when the are loose. To me temp matters less than flexibility.

Brian,

I agree, the 203 is most likely his guideline so not a rule. When the plates hit 201/202 I inserted my Thermapen probe when it seemed like it was very tender or went in without much resistance. But it looks like it should have gone a bit more !

Thanks Greg

Back