BBQ for tomorrow

azbohunter

Family time with kids and grand kids tomorrow and I offered to do Pulled Pork and Baked Beans.
Have a 8# ( just shy) butt in the fridge, been sitting there since yesterday slathered in yellow mustard and rub. My plan is to put it in the #2 around 5 this afternoon, set PID at 225 and meat probe at 198 with 3 oz of pecan and 2 oz of sugar maple.
My hope is that the meat probe temp alarm will go off sometime after 5 AM...actually I am planning 16 hours cook time which would be 9 AM. If I am correct I will pull it and put in a pan of beans and cook them 2 hours while the butt is sitting wrapped in a cooler.
Lunch is to be at 1 and I have an hour drive time so hoping my plan works.
Been a while since I have done anything but salmon and Kokanee!

Made it through the night and slept sound  :)
PID and Smokin-It 2 did their thing. I woke to a internal temp of 192 on my pork butt. Shouldn't be long now. This is the first time I have been brave enough to stick something in and leave it unattended over night. Usually I get up at 4AM and then if I run into a long stall I am up late taking care of pork. This is much better!

I am doing a small flat for Sunday. Nothing fancy for the rub just a mixture of Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Brisket was more expensive than I expected, so I got 6 racks of baby back ribs instead that I plan to throw in tomorrow.

St. Louis ribs for me.  Turned out great.  Just under 6 hours.  Very moist and nearly fall off the bone.

LarryD said:
Brisket was more expensive than I expected, so I got 6 racks of baby back ribs instead that I plan to throw in tomorrow.

Ribs came out great!  Was able to easily put two racks per shelf on the top three shelves.  Used mostly hickory with a chunk of cherry thrown in for good measure.  :)  At about 4 1/2 hours in I sauced the ribs and left them in for about another hour.  Tender and easy to pull off of the bone, but not falling apart.

Rub:
4 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp thyme
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp paprika
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder

Attachments

• ribs1.jpg
    ribs1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 246
  • ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 265
  • ribs3.jpg
    ribs3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 245
Larry - Ribs look great.  I need to take your lead and do multiple racks at once...one at a time is too much work and now that I'm more comfortable with this smoker it makes more sense.

Back