Bacon wrapped hot dogs

LBC LazyQ

Loaded up the model 1 with 48 bacon wrapped hot dogs this weekend and they were a bit hit!  I used the recipe I found here using mustard, then coating with pork rub, and wrapping in bacon.  Into the smoker at 240 for 3 hours and coating with Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce at 2 1/2 hours.  I did swap the bottom rack for the 2nd rack when applying the bbq sauce as they were definitely getting more heat.  I did these at work and expected to take approximately 25+ home with me for the family.  They were so popular and more folks get coming by for a taste that only 10 survived for the trip home. ;D.  The guys said they would match up with any of the good street vendors here in LA.  This recipe is a definite keeper for us and will go into my normal rotation for the smoker.

Attachments

• 20160910_062906.jpg
    20160910_062906.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 436
  • 20160910_102652.jpg
    20160910_102652.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 441
I like it. We do something similar but stuff them with a piece of cheddar before wrapping with bacon.

I've never seen anything quite like this but these dawgs look freakin' awesome! I'm trying this one soon. We'll done Steve!

Everything is better with bacon, even hot dogs! Keep in mind that bacon WILL kill you, but it's a slow and wonderful way to go:-) Happy Smoking.

Today I have had 4 separate requests from the folks at work on where to buy the smoker as a result of the bacon wrapped hot dogs and I have forwarded them the Smokin-it link.  :)  I have made ribs several times and chicken once for them, but the simple dogs from the weekend have created the most stir!

I did these last night.  Sorry, no pictures.  The prep time was easy and I used a simple SPOG rub under the bacon.  After a little over two hours, hunger set in and I pulled them off and placed two gently into a hot dog bun.  Onion and cheese with a squirt of mustard.  OK, they were good.  But I was expecting GOOD!  Not a let down, just had higher expatiations I guess. :-[  I had talked these up to the wife for a few days and guess I got both our hopes up.  I WILL do them again as they were a lot better than just plain hot dogs.

Looks great, Steve!  Seems I saw a Jeff Phillips thing on these, awhile back.  Of course, he uses his rub on them (like everything...).  Sometimes, a simple twist to a simple food is just the ticket!! :D

It looks like the #1 side rails now have 4 evenly spaced rails? Mine has 3. And the alternate side rails for the #1 on the SI website have 4 rails, but they are not evenly spaced.

Bacon wrapped hot dogs for everyone at work today!  Thankfully my patient wife prepped 96 of them so I can smoke them today at work.  Two sets of 48 with the first ones on the smoker at 5:45 am this morning.  Should be a great Friday.

LBC LazyQ said:
Bacon wrapped hot dogs for everyone at work today!  Thankfully my patient wife prepped 96 of them so I can smoke them today at work.  Two sets of 48 with the first ones on the smoker at 5:45 am this morning.  Should be a great Friday.

Wow, that is a lot of prep work from your wife! I think you have a good one there. :)

I am sure these were a hit again. Got pics?

The dogs were a big hit again and everyone got a chance to taste them as we had them on Friday.  I ended up hiding 11 of them so I would have a few to take home to the family.:o  This was my second time with the hot dogs and learned a bit about making them better.  In a post above ibbones tried them and they did not come out awesome and I was trying to figure out what was different, besides personal taste.

I found the original recipe and it says to smoke the dogs 2-3 hours, but recommends 3 hours to allow more time for the bacon to cook.  I put Baby Rays bbq sauce on the dogs after 2 1/2 hours and then cook for an additional 30 minutes.  I skimped a little on the bbq sauce on the first 48 dogs and had the heat at 250 to get them done faster and they came out a little dry.  I lathered up the second set with more sauce and turned the temp back to the recommended 240 and they came out awesome again.

So for me, it's go the full 3 hours at 240 and don't skimp on the sauce at 2 1/2 hours.

I am very thankful for my wife's help.  I would never have the patience to crank out 96 of these for anyone.;D  We were driving home last evening and she said her hands still had a yellow tinge from the mustard.:o

LBC LazyQ said:
We were driving home last evening and she said her hands still had a yellow tinge from the mustard. :o

Sounds like a great success!  Surprise your invaluable prep-cook with a box of nitrile exam gloves!  She will never again have hands stained with mustard or rub!  I use them on every meat prep.

ok this is an awesome idea. i am off all this week and will try it.
so it is that simple?

mustard binder, wrap bacon over hot dog, add favorite pork rub,, cook then eat?

anything i am missing?

also how does one add cheddar? do you just put it on the dog before wrapping or is there some way to inject it? or is there a cheddar filled dog? i honestly dont care for hot dogs that much but  this may change my mind!

what wood do you suggest? hickory? maple? other

OK, you guys, I'm in..  I am on vacation this week and in smoker heaven. I have already smoked chicken wings (again, see my other post) and bought a pork butt and sirloin roast for later in the week.  but right now i am catching up on smoked bacon wrapped dogs. they just went in the smoker with cherry wood.  I have bad byron's butt rub on half and  killer hoggs on the other. byron is quite salty. killer hoggs sweet. I'll see you  in 3 hours with the results

Attachments

• IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 300
  • hotdgs.JPG
    hotdgs.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 333
wow that was an epic fail. I couldnt even bring myself to take pics. These dogs and bacon were ready to be carbon dated. They were black and so burnt it was terrible. I thought 240 for  3 hours seemed like too long but i went with it. i have trained myself not to check this smoker except for box temp  and internal temp.

Granted i didn't do 48 dogs i only did 16 but the 3D stayed right on temp as required.  Anyway, not sure where the mix up was. I am not big on bacon or dogs (The heresy!!) so i probably wont try it again. I think i could have been there in 2 hours or less. I get the recipe said 2-3 but how to know?

Back