Back Loin Bacon

Mr.Ed

For the 4th I cooked some ribs but my neighbors all like my back loin bacon. So about 8 days ago I trimmed a whole back loin and removed all visible silver skin and most of the fat. Then brined it, Yes, My nitrates and phosphates where in the brine.

I use only Hickory wood for my bacon so I took 3oz and split it into two filets.

20160615_202945_zpsnxatk2in.jpg

I placed the loin in the smoker and set at 225*pit 145* meat.

2016-07-02%2011.08.47_zpso2b0yahl.jpg

With three probes inserted I tested the meat temperature between the PID and my remote. Wow how accurate can you get!

20160702_103230_zpsjjahondq.jpg

I have no cover on my patio, only a 11 foot market umbrella. On the smoker I installed a PCV pipe that will fit most beach umbrellas. Yesterday we got three inches of rain here in one hour. My beach umbrella protects the PID from rain and can be instantly adjusted down so its just above the smoker to eliminate cross rain. The big patio umbrella is above it (not shown in the photo)  Also if I take this Si to a friendly cookout the umbrella is portable protection against the Florida elements.

20160702_103512_zpsfhhxoqyx.jpg

Now comes the bad thing about this post. I got so caught up on how nice these looked when done, I cooled them down ran through the slicer and said OMG I forgot to take finish Photos. OH well, I bet you all can use your imagination and make it look perfect.

Just wait until what it tastes like tomorrow, or the next day, after resting in the fridge!  It's like cheese, and good rest in the fridge really settles-in the smoke and flavor!

Back