Babybacks

nhns4

Unboxed the new #2 yesterday and got it all seasoned up.  We have prior dinner plans tonight but i couldnt just let the smoker sit in the garage so i threw in a pregame snack for myself at 130pm. Going to try the no peak method.  I normally do the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method on my coal smoker.  Anyone do either od those methods with the SIs?
We will see how she goes. Using some Cherry wood for the smoke.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-18-14-17-22.png.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-18-14-17-22.png.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot_2015-06-18-14-17-31.png.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-18-14-17-31.png.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 355
When  I started out I used the 2-2-1 method for BBs, but now I (like most) have gone to the "no peaky" method.  I let my BBs go at 235F for about 4 to 4.5 hours, then remove and sauce (optional), and then back on the smoker for another hour.  Pretty much spot on every time!  Let us know how you make out.  Cheers

Nick - one recommendation (from your pic) is to always put the meat as high as possible, and work down from there for multiple shelves.  The heat is the most stable at the top.  Also, only one rack is almost like an empty smoker.  I see you don't have a water pan in there; I couldn't recommend one more for ribs, especially with such a small meat load.  You need something else in there to absorb/hold the heat (heat sink effect).  The water pan also really helps keep the moisture in the smoker up, so the meat stays more moist.

Next time - 1. Meat up high, and 2. Water pan.  You'll be happy.... ;)

I smoke ribs for 4 1/2 hours then move to Weber for crusting and caramelization. Smoker stays cleaner and outside of ribs gets nice and crusty/gooey!

Mark

DivotMaker said:
Nick - one recommendation (from your pic) is to always put the meat as high as possible, and work down from there for multiple shelves.  The heat is the most stable at the top.  Also, only one rack is almost like an empty smoker.  I see you don't have a water pan in there; I couldn't recommend one more for ribs, especially with such a small meat load.  You need something else in there to absorb/hold the heat (heat sink effect).  The water pan also really helps keep the moisture in the smoker up, so the meat stays more moist.

Next time - 1. Meat up high, and 2. Water pan.  You'll be happy.... ;)
Thanks for the tips for a newb!  Ribs were good but not as smoky as i had hoped.  Work in progress lol

gregbooras said:
Nick,

How much wood did you use, for ribs I normally go with 3.5 oz. of wood mixed.

Greg
I used 3 chunks of peach about the size of the pieces they send with the smoker.

Nick,

One of the best investments to make with this smoker is a digital scale. These babies use a lot less wood, but you really need to know the weight of what you put in. To little, like smoke, to much and bitter taste.

Greg

Nick, Greg is SO right!  Best investment you can make is a digital scale.  They even sell really cheap ones at Harbor Freight that will get the job done.  It does make a difference!  Also, peach, by itself, is a really mild wood.  You might try half & half with hickory, for a little bolder smoke profile.

Forgot to put a finished product pic out there.  Daughter approved as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-29-11.png.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-29-11.png.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-29-39.png.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-29-39.png.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 326
Nick looks like your maiden voyage was a success. As I'm sure you've already learned here there are several methods you can use to get the result you want. The no peak method works great and meat will have a little more pull. The 3-2-1 also works well and will be fall off the bone tender. Both are fantastic, just depends on how you like them. Just my two cents.

pargolfr2003 said:
Nick looks like your maiden voyage was a success. As I'm sure you've already learned here there are several methods you can use to get the result you want. The no peak method works great and meat will have a little more pull. The 3-2-1 also works well and will be fall off the bone tender. Both are fantastic, just depends on how you like them. Just my two cents.
Ive always been a 3-2-1 or -2-2-1 guy but figured it was worth the shot.  Ill be trying all sorts of different things till i find what i like with the electric smoker.  Either way everythings been a success so far. 

Back