Baby backs w/ molasses

Kutch98

After the input I got last week from asking for a good mustard substitute, fiancé and I decided on trying molasses.  Looking forward to tomorrow and trying these out.  Will use hickory wood. Thank you again for all of the suggestions from last week.  Will post final pics and review of flavor when I'm done. Used a McCormick Smikehouse Maple for seasoning.

I also picked up some sauces from Sprouts Farmerks Market that sounded good too. Anybody used these?  Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 340
If she can taste no existent flavor of mustard, I'm really interested to see how she reacts to the pungent flavor of molasses.  A little bit of that goes a real long ways with me.  Will check back in a couple of hours. 

SuperDave said:
If she can taste no existent flavor of mustard, I'm really interested to see how she reacts to the pungent flavor of molasses.  A little bit of that goes a real long ways with me.  Will check back in a couple of hours.

+1.  A little molasses in a sauce, or other use, is fine, but I'd have a hard time using it as a binder.  Way too bitter, in it's undiluted form, for me.  I'll also be anxiously awaiting the results!

Well wait no longer!  She said "these are the best ones yet."  Really liked the molasses on there. The sweet taste was really good. Used some Heinz Texas Style BBQ sauce to try and add a bit of spice to the sweet flavor. Checked at about 4hr 45min and decided to give them another 30min.  They were falling off the bone as I was cutting them. 

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 343
Outstanding!
If they have it out there and you do molasses again try Grandma's Original!
You have made me hungry Sir!

Doug

Well, there's your answer, Jake! 8)  That's why there are "no wrong answers," in BBQ!  We all have our own preferences, so congrats on finding yours!

Jake,

I would have never thought to use molasses as the binder. With the high sugar content, I would have that that it would pick up a a burned or bitter taste.

Congrats, I will give it a try on my next smoke with ribs!

It is nice to try new things!

Greg

I was worried about the bitter taste myself but gave it a shot.  We used an organic molasses, don't know if that made a difference.  Another poster had said to try to find one without all of the extra crap that gets added into our foods now a days.  I think next set will be an experiment.  Break a rack in half, do half in mustard, half in molasses and taste the difference.

If you are in an experimental mood or looking for something different I highly suggest this.  If anything, just to say you did it. 

Back