Baby Backs Today

es1025

Picked up some baby backs from BJ's last night. 

Some Memphis dust and put in the smoker.

Set the Auber to 175 for .5 hours and 235 for 5 hours.

A little water can and 2.2 oz of cherry wood.

I am very impressed that the Auber hits its marks perfectly.  Currently over an hour into the smoke and we are at 235.

I am not sure if i am going to have a permanent probe or not but using the cup holder its perfect.

Maybe the quest for perfect ribs will be achieved.

I went with the permanent probe a few months ago in my #2 and love it now I rarely use my maverick, I used it the first few smokes to check how accurate the Auber was.... spot on, go for the fixed probe you won't regret it I think it takes these smokers up to another level.

Can't agree more, Jim!  Just finished 3 racks of babies - 5.25 hours @ 235.  Perfect!!  Just about to slice and consume mass quantities! ;)

the ribs were absolutely spot on.  maybe the best ribs I have smoked.  Great bark and fall off the bone goodness. I think I will be smoking for 5 hours going forward.

If you don't have an Auber get one, it makes for perfect cooking. 

The Auber went above by a couple of degrees and below by a couple of degrees.

Pretty much right on 235 the entire time when I was looking.

I can't wait for a boston butt.

Thanks to all who help me complete the bypass and acquire an Auber.

BTW, the hanging smoker probe with the cup holder worked perfectly.

Ed

Way to go, Ed!  Yeah, the Auber is an amazing tool!  Mine turned out great, as well!  5:15, rested for 20 minutes under foil, and WOW! ;D

Attachments

• 2014-07-06 16.42.36.jpg
    2014-07-06 16.42.36.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 2014-07-06 16.44.01.jpg
    2014-07-06 16.44.01.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 270
Thanks, Mike!  Ed and I have both realized we have consistent results with our smokers.  It's almost like "cookie cutter BBQ!"  lol.  I mowed this morning, and threw these together at the last minute (to get them in by 11 am), set the smoker and didn't look at them until 4:15.  Life's good with an SI! ;D

Brian
I use the memphis dust. Did you use oil or some other binder. My ribs were red based on the paprika. They tasted darn good.

Brian, I used Jeff Phillips' rub.  I made a batch awhile back, and had some left.  The paprika and chili powder tends to make them a little more red.

One difference between the auber and non auber ribs. The shrinkage on the bones is much more with the auber. I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree, Ed.  Nice pullback with a stable temp.  I always had good pullback with the analog #1, though.  Coincidence, maybe? 

I did not use a binder. I didn't even think about it until much later. I just rubbed it into the meat and stacked them up, I did shake on a little extra before I shut the smoker. Tony's ribs appear much darker than the Memphis, Dust I imagine that is the chili powder. Mine were good the family loved them.

I love plain old yellow mustard as a binder.  Since it leaves no taste, it's perfect for holding the rub and creating a thicker bark.  I've tried different oils, but always tend to come back to mustard for pork.  I do use olive oil on poultry and beef (usually).

When you say 'meat up, bone down' you are referring to the smoking process.  When they are done and ready to eat, the opposite applies.  'Meat down (the hatch), Bone up'!

DM
when you say 5:15 for the ribs at 235. Is that the entire cooking process including the warm up?
this smoke I had 1/2 hour at 180 and 5 hours at 235. Total cooking time 5.5 hours.

Bones down for the ribs.

Yep, Ed, that was the total time for that batch.  I find it varies from about 5:15 to 5:45, depending on the ribs own schedule.  But, I can always plan on no longer than 6 hours until dinner!

Back