Baby Backs in the #2

Perkolater

I finally got a WIN on the new #2 with baby backs for Memorial Day.  Started out with about 8 lbs (3 racks) from Sam’s and followed DM’s steps using a mustard rub binder.  I seasoned 2 racks with the John Henry’s East Texas Pecan Rub and one rack with Bad Byron’s BRub just to compare.  ‘Meticulously’ weighed out 1.8 oz hickory and 0.7 oz of sugar maple set the temp on 235 and left.  Nothing unusual happened…took a peek at 4:30 and they seemed a little stiff with Sarge’s toothpick test.  Let them go to 5:15, checked again and decided to cook for another 30, pulled and double wrapped in foil after 5:45 total time.

Results were good although some variation, I think maybe just in the cut?  The John Henry’s seasoning was preferred although I thought the ribs were a little drier.  The Bad Byrons’ rack was much darker and just a little more hint of cayenne but they were also a bit greasy (they were on the lower rack?) compared to the other two.

Favorite potato salad recipes are akin to asking someone what’s the best deer rifle but my wife makes some of the best.  Grilled a few ears of sweet corn on the Weber along with fresh cole slaw and everyone had a smile, especially my dog!  Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day and took time to honor those who gave all for their country.

Attachments

• IMG_1867r.jpg
    IMG_1867r.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1869r.jpg
    IMG_1869r.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1870r.jpg
    IMG_1870r.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1875r.jpg
    IMG_1875r.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1876r.jpg
    IMG_1876r.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 331
Any general guidelines as to which rack to use (higher or lower) when you're not filling the whole smoker? And in the "basics" smoking recipe, it calls for some type of liquid (such as apple juice) to add moisture for baby backs; about how much juice?? Thanks for any insights!
Mike

mikew said:
Any general guidelines as to which rack to use (higher or lower) when you're not filling the whole smoker? And in the "basics" smoking recipe, it calls for some type of liquid (such as apple juice) to add moisture for baby backs; about how much juice?? Thanks for any insights!
Mike

Mike, when not filling the whole smoker start with the top rack and work your way down. The heat is more stable at the top and you will achieve better results. As far as liquid, any sort of container that will fit on the floor of your smoker tucked up next to the smoke box will work. Most people on here use the aluminium mini loaf pans and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full of any liquid you choose. Personally I use water. I have used juice, beer etc. and have not been able to tell any difference in the flavor. The idea is to add moisture more than flavor.

Hey Dave, those ribs look good to me. I have been using John Henry East Texas Pecan rub for a while now and hardly use anything else.

The temps are more stable toward the top of the smoker. So, you always want your food to be as high up in the smoker that you can while leaving enough room on the top for air and temp probes to run out through the blow hole.

mikew said:
Mike
Mike,
Glad to have you on the forum.  These guys know what they're doing 8) and hope these answers resolve your questions but if not, don't be bashful about asking.  Figuring out just exactly when to pull ribs is always a bit of a question for me because a thermometer just isn't as practical as on a larger cut of meat.  I went pretty much by time and started checking after about 4 1/2 hours using Sarge's toothpick method.  Insert a toothpick alongside the bone and try to pry the meat away.  If it doesn't move/give or the toothpick breaks then let them cook a little longer.  With just a few rib cooks, you'll begin to tell by look and feel.
Good luck and share some pics!

mikew said:
Mike

Hi Mike!  Great to have you with us!  The guys have covered that you want to always have your meat as high as possible, and work down.  As far as the liquid:  I always add it to everything that benefits from extra moisture, like beef and pork.  I don't use liquid with poultry, unless it's skinless (no benefit, for skin-on birds).

I use either a disposable aluminum mini-loaf, or loaf pan (depending on the size of the smoker), that sits on the floor of the box, snuggled up nicely against the smoke box.  The goal is to heat this liquid so it steams, and not to block the heat between the smoke box and meat.  I fill mine about 3/4 full with either apple juice or water.  I hear folks using expensive beers, and such, which is a waste of money.  Save the good beer for drinking!  Whether it's water, or anything else, it will NOT impart flavor to the meat (I've tried them all).  The only reason I like apple juice is the smell the smoker gives off while on a long smoke, like a pork butt...it'll absolutely drive you crazy with anticipation! :P :P  It's my "aromatherapy," so to speak. ;)

Now that you're with us, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself, and your experience.  We're here to help, no matter what your skill level is!  We'll turn you into the BBQ Pit Master of the neighborhood in no time flat!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice!  :) Going to try my first set of ribs on Saturday. You guys are awesome!!!

drains said:
Hey Dave, those ribs look good to me. I have been using John Henry East Texas Pecan rub for a while now and hardly use anything else.
Thanks Dale!
I quickly accumulated a variety of rubs to experiment with but I've enjoyed John Henry's every time.  It will be one I keep around.  I also used one of the Webber brand rubs(garlic & honey) available at Sam's and have enjoyed it as well.

Back