Baby backs in a newly-cleaned #1!

DivotMaker

Two racks of baby backs in the ol' #1 today!  4:40 in, and smelling great!  I rubbed these with Famous Dave's Rib Rub; nothing fancy, just looking forward to some good ribs!

I just never get tired of this...another success story!  5 1/2 hours with hickory @ 225, water pan full of apple cider, no peeky until done.  Moist and tender, fall off the bone goodness!

Attachments

• BB 12-1-13.jpg
    BB 12-1-13.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 369
  • BB 12-1-13 sliced.jpg
    BB 12-1-13 sliced.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 367
Oh man those look great Tony! Now I need to run some through my #2, your recipe sounded super easy and I am always down for some fall of the bone ribs.

It's always an easy one, Ben.  Peel the silver skin off, slather with yellow mustard and rub, then 5 1/2 hours without peeking.  Surefire recipe for "lazy Q" ribs!

Tony's method is fool proof.  5.5 hours and you have some awesome ribs.  Baby backs are my favorite. Famous Dave's rub is very good, it almost make me want to get rid of my homemade rub.  Try this method it works great.

Do you guys use rib hooks? They came free and I'm not sure if it makes sense because seems there might be a temp gradient top to bottom.  Just me thinking. My initial run will be Sunday on two fresh baby backs ... Will use 225 and 5.5 hours without peaking.

Question: how many ounces are the wood chunks you get free of hickory? Are they two ounces each? How many ounces for two baby back ribs like this?

Any tips for the wood... Read somewhere a vague description about foiling the wood or something. Dunno. Will put apple juice and apple cider vinegar in the miss Lilly flavor savor and we shall see.

Thanks for any tips.

Paul Case Luca said:
Do you guys use rib hooks? They came free and I'm not sure if it makes sense because seems there might be a temp gradient top to bottom.  Just me thinking. My initial run will be Sunday on two fresh baby backs ... Will use 225 and 5.5 hours without peaking.

Question: how many ounces are the wood chunks you get free of hickory? Are they two ounces each? How many ounces for two baby back ribs like this?

Any tips for the wood... Read somewhere a vague description about foiling the wood or something. Dunno. Will put apple juice and apple cider vinegar in the miss Lilly flavor savor and we shall see.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi Steve!  Welcome to the club.  Do us a little post in the Introductions section when you have time!

The hickory dowels that come with your smoker are different sizes.  Until you get a scale for your wood, just use about a 2" dowel with your ribs.  I have a cheap oz/gram electronic scale I got from Harbor Freight Tools, and it works great!

Check out the "What Wood do you Use" section for a lot of good info on wood.  One piece of advise:  Get good wood.  Don't buy the lumber yard/WalMart stuff - it's usually way too dry.  Get your wood from a good supplier like Fruitawood.  Smokin-It hickory dowels are also very good.  I haven't tried the cherry yet!

Polish:  I would go with one hickory dowel and then you can determine if more wood is needed for the next smoke, but for me, one dowel was plenty.  I also love hickory for ribs, and I use cherry for poultry.  I have not used the rib hooks, just lay them bone side down on the racks.

Back