Baby back ribs

icebob

I like to buy them at Costco/Sam's in those 3 of em package. I just prep them individually, spiced and everything, and vacuum seal em and in the freezer they go. 1 rack is plenty for me and my son. So, this morning took the one we took out yesterday from the freezer and did the 3-2-1 thingy as usual.Busy day for me today( going on the road tomorrow, mowed the grass, kegged 12 gallons of beer...) so the ribs were doing their thing by themselves. All went good until I took them out after the last 1 thingy.... I didn't put a water pan in the smoker... Damned! Turn out they were the best ribs to my taste to come out of this smoker! For now on, no more water pan for baby back! They were "dry" but tender like hell, just a little resistance on the bone but still a clean bone. (  for the 2 part, I basted them with sauce and pour 3/4 of a beer in the pouch) here's the pics:

Attachments

• 2016-07-16 18.52.49.jpg
    2016-07-16 18.52.49.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 2016-07-16 19.00.02.jpg
    2016-07-16 19.00.02.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 313
You might raise quite a "stir" on the forum abandoning the water pan with ribs. Actually, when it comes to baby backs, I'm starting to think it has a lot to do with the quality of the meat. My last ribs were pretty dry, because I didn't have time to go to Costco, and ended up picking them up at the grocery store. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a grading system for pork, so you have to shop by "brand", or from a local butcher. I'm not even really sure what the best brand is anymore for pork ribs.

Nicely done Bob! There's a lot of ways/opinions on how to do ribs. Rarely are the results bad IMHO.  8) Do what you love and don't look back.  :)

Oh Bob, say it ain't SO!!! :o LOL!!! ;D ;D ;D  It just goes to prove that there is no "ONE" solution to anything!  I totally agree with Kari that the quality of the meat is the biggest factor.  Plus, it sounds like your 2-part method is going to add moisture back to them anyways.  Great job!

Back