Baby Back Ribs - too dry

peterwells

I am a newbie.  Smoked my first baby back ribs and they came out too dry after smoking for 6 hrs.  I am wondering how long you all cook your baby back ribs and if you look for a particular temperature

When I do BB ribs in my #2, I let them go to 5-5.5 hours ... 6 hours may have been too long, but then again it also depends on the amount of meat on the bone.  I also set my temp to 225-235F for a 5 to 5.5 hour smoke with about 4oz of wood (typically hickory).  I take my ribs out at about 4.5 hours and apply a dose of BBQ sauce to the ribs, but this is just my preference, it is not a necessary step.  I also put a small loaf pan of apple juice in the bottom of the SI next the smoke box just for added moisture.  You can't really go by the IT of the ribs since it would be tough to get a good reading with all of the bones.

For your next try, I would suggest the small loaf pan of juice, set the temp for 225 to 235F, and check your ribs at the 5 hour mark.  If the meat looks like it is pulling back from the bone, then you are pretty much done.  If not, give them another 30 minutes.  You can also try a toothpick that should easy go in and pull out from the meat.

10 degrees of temperature can translate to a half hour or more difference over the length of a smoke. If you are committed to the no peek method, I'd cook at 235 and start my doneness check at about the 5 hour mark. 

I don't wish to sound rude that is not my intent But Seriously? A brief use of the search feature will show multiple conversations on 5 hour no peak ribs with a water pan at 235.

These smokers are excellent but have their own quirks. Do some research on the forum prior to ruining your dinner. Meat is expensive.

Brian brings up a good point. There is certainly no shortage of information on this forum, especially for something as popular as ribs. I'm on here a lot and I'm constantly amazed of how much good info there is here and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask. Everyone here is very generous and eager to share their experience, techniques and recipes. Never a reason to ruin good meat. Everyone here is on the same team and happy to help out.

Just a quick tip on using the Search bar - If you're looking for something specific (like "baby back ribs no peek"), start in the most-likely section of the forum - the Pork board, in Recipes.  If you're not sure where your question would be, start your search from the home page, that way results will pull from everywhere, not just one board.

Back