Baby Back Ribs in the 3D

DivotMaker

Smoked 3 racks yesterday in the 3D.  I sprinkled on some Morton's TenderQuick and let them sit in the fridge for 15 minutes.  I then rinsed them well, coated in yellow mustard and Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  Into the smoker with a pan of apple juice and 3 oz of cherry.  Five hours of no peeking later, perfect!  Good pull, bones came clean.  Moist and tender!

Attachments

• RibsTQ5.JPG
    RibsTQ5.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 327
  • RibsTQ3-2.JPG
    RibsTQ3-2.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 352
  • RibsTQ4-4.JPG
    RibsTQ4-4.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 376
  • RibsTQ1.JPG
    RibsTQ1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 336
  • RibsTQ4-5.JPG
    RibsTQ4-5.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 353
Nice looking ribs Tony! I have tried both ways: pink salt and none. I can't decide if it is worth it. Visually I get it. Taste wise I can't tell the difference. Either way good eats!!  :)

Right at 5 hours, Tom.  I could have pulled them a little sooner, and they would have been good....I got distracted with other chores!  Maybe 4:45?  Can't complain about the 5 hours, though.  We always talk about the "5 hour, no peek" ribs, but that timing is just a guideline.  Every piece of meat cooks a little different, so it's good to check them earlier.  I've also had back ribs take as much as 5:15 - 5:45 to be "done" like I like them!

I have been pulling at 445, not a big difference in my opinion. The key is to rest and wrap for 30 minutes up to a couple of hours.

es1025 said:
The key is to rest and wrap for 30 minutes up to a couple of hours.

Can you elaborate on what resting does for something like Baby Back Ribs?  I understand resting things like Brisket or a Pork Butt, but Baby Back Ribs don't seem to have much juice in them anyway. 

I made some baby backs last night and only rested for 5 minutes after taking them out.  They were still juicy but there was no juice spilling out of them as I segmented the ribs.

If there is some other benefit I'm not thinking of, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

Will, even I let ribs rest for about 15 minutes, covered in foil.  Just like a steak on the grill, a brief period to let the meat relax, and reverse the outward flow of juices (even though ribs aren't typically "dripping"), seems to help the texture and tenderness....or, at least, it seems to in my mind.  Kind of "optional," for ribs, but I think it helps a bit.

I think the resting period also helps the smoke particles on the surface move into the meat, evening out the flavors and mellowing it slightly.

DivotMaker said:
Will, even I let ribs rest for about 15 minutes, covered in foil.  Just like a steak on the grill, a brief period to let the meat relax, and reverse the outward flow of juices (even though ribs aren't typically "dripping"), seems to help the texture and tenderness....or, at least, it seems to in my mind.  Kind of "optional," for ribs, but I think it helps a bit.

Rest ribs???  ha! they are lucky to get from the smoker to the counter in my house! haha

Back