Baby Back Rib Success!

Grampy

I just finished smoking my first baby back ribs in my SI#2 today and they turned out awesome! My wife does not normally like ribs and she even liked these. I started with two 3 1/2 lb slabs of ribs. Coated them in
yellow mustard and then hit them with the dry rub. Put them into the SI#2 with 3oz of cherry wood (I would have preferred to have some pecan) at 235 degrees for 5 hours no peeking. After 5 hours I checked and let them go about 20 to 30 minutes more. The results were outstanding. These were some of the best ribs I have ever cooked.

Attachments

• Ribs#1.jpg
    Ribs#1.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Ribs#2.jpg
    Ribs#2.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 377
Great work.

I am a big fan of babies. I would the ribs on with the top shelf or the second shelf. 5 hours should be perfect.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about, Jimmy!  Really nice job, and glad to see you've embraced the "Lazy Q" lifestyle! ;)  WPS, brother!

gregbooras said:
Jimmy,

The ribs look excellent, did you use a water pan?

Greg

Thank you Greg and yes, I did use a water pan. Actually it is a water can! I have a tin can I fill with water and set next to the fire box.

Grampy said:
Actually it is a water can! I have a tin can I fill with water and set next to the fire box.

Jimmy - try a disposable aluminum mini, or regular, "loaf" pan sometime.  I find the extra surface area of the liquid really helps make steam, and it heats quicker.

DivotMaker said:
Grampy said:
Actually it is a water can! I have a tin can I fill with water and set next to the fire box.

Jimmy - try a disposable aluminum mini, or regular, "loaf" pan sometime.  I find the extra surface area of the liquid really helps make steam, and it heats quicker.

Tony, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

+1 on the mini loaf pan.  I bought about 10 of those when I first got the smoker, then used half of them for mac n cheese after I found that it forms a brick after refrigeration (no more big pans for me).  I just said the heck with it and bought a 200 pack on amazon.

Back