Aussie smoker in Singapore

MicKM

Hello Smokies
I am an Australian Ship Surveyor living in Singapore.
I became interested in smoking meats from surveying ships in the US and enjoying the fantastic rib shacks in the areas I have been. I decided to start looking around for a good, quality solution to establishing my smokin credentials in Asia and settled on the #2.
We are Aussies are a little like the US, we like local made products, so I was happy that the Smokinit were not a cheap China product. Nearly 96% of all things in Singapore are imported, it's a tiny island that really does not grow anything of note.
So I imported the #2, a large selection of woods and began the process...
My first smoke was pretty darn average - I think a little too over zealous on the amount of wood and only used the Smokin it controller.
Since then I have upgraded to the wall mount auber and the results have been great.
I've only done ribs so far, but am determined to try many other alternatives - duck is very popular in asia, so I will definitely give that a go.
This forum has been a great source of info and made me feel far more confident in my purchase and goals (tho the wife hasnt seen the freight bill yet).
Not many BBQers in Singapore, and only one texas smoke joint, so I am feeling pretty unique and need to ensure the wow factor continues.
Now trying to source some local timber and move into other meats.
Happy Smokin
Best regards
Mixk

Welcome MixK!

Glad you purchased a SI smoker and this is a great forum for information!  I haven't tried ribs yet but it's on my radar soon.  I've smoked several pounds of brisket and pork shoulder (butt) and chickens with great tasting success.  You can probably go into the smoking meat business there in Singapore ;-). Cheers, and enjoy!

Carl

Hi Carl
Many thanks for the reply.
I'm already planning my next smokes.
Will keep posting
Best regards
Mick

Carl
[/quote]

Hi Mick and welcome from the Florida Keys. This is a great forum with lots of friendly, knowledgeable people. Welcome to the club.

Hi from Colorado Mick! If I was in Singapore I would try smoking the giant tiger prawns that I've had there in the past. Do 'em up like shrimp. You'll love the #2.

Welcome, again, Mick!!  Sure great to see the International Connection joining in the fun!  You'll totally blow your friends and family away with your Q - get ready!  Once you get the basics down, you'll be a SI Pit Master in no time flat!

Welcome Mick.  Look forward to your updates, especially your successes with various meats and methods.  Enjoy-

Hi Roger, apologies for delayed response as I was onboard a ship doing a sea trial!
I've never been to the Keys, it looks beautiful. Great idea on the prawns, tho the ones here are mainly farmed Thai prawns. I will bring some back from Australia!
Do you have a good recipe?
Thanx for the post.
Best regards
Mick

Hi Bob
Thanks for the call out and prawn idea.
Apology for the delayed post as I have been on a sea trial and only got back yesterday.
Lots to learn but really appreciating the arm and friendly community.
Best regards
MickM

Back