Auber replace a maverick?

aspenextreme03

As I am getting ready to purchase my first SI I am thinking about getting the auber as well.  If I do go that route can I forget a maverick or thermoworks to monitor the meat during the cook?  If so that would be good as I would rather not purchase one unless I have to. 

The Auber provides one meat probe.  If you want to monitor more than one food item, a secondary like a Maverick comes in real handy. 

I would rather buy once and have some experience with thermoworks products in the past. More than likely most of the time i will only be doing one type of meat at a time so the auber moght just work. Down the road if i see the need i could get another therm.

I can sell you a second HeaterMeter I'm building if you really want an "all-in-one" unit. It works like at auber and supports 1 thermocouple for the smoker and 3 pit probes. You can use thermoworks or maverick probes with it also. See my modifications for it here. You also get the benefits of wifi monitoring. I'm starting a smoke in about 1 hour and you can watch my thermocouple in action at http://bbq.tonylyne.com. I'm doing ribs today so I will only be using my my thermocouple. Since this is my inaugural run I'm not sure how well I have the PID parameters tuned yet. I might throw my food probe into the box (but not the meat) as well to have it cross checking my thermocouple profile.

I had a maverick but returned it and went this direction.

Hey Aspen,

Add your first name and town to your signature line, when you have time.  We like to know our new members!  Give us a little about yourself in the Intro section, too. ;)

Since I started using the Auber, my Maverick is very lonely.  I actually never use it anymore.  I see Tman (Tony) promoting his heater meter project again.  If you're into a science project, and know how to solder, this might be good.  If you want off-the-shelf, proven, technology, the Auber is the ticket.  It's not Wi-Fi or flashy; it just works.  Put your Maverick money in that, if you want an Auber.

Just trying to see some more adopters. I am also in love with the final results after I got everything together now. It came out much better than I expected. I think I'm really going to love the webpage and alarms features the best to view remotely and send my smartphone alerts when trigger events or danger zones are entered. I think the coolness factor really shows itself in live demos. It's hard to see everything this thing can do just giving a few forums snippets here and there.

Back