Another new member

niceguy0427

Hi, I'm Don. Just my wife and I living here in the great state of Idaho, both retired. Doing a lot of yard work, riding our two horses, going out in the forest cutting firewood, fishing as much as we want, hunting. The usual stuff you do in Idaho when you are retired.

We bought a model 2 a little over a month ago and a Maverick ET-732. I've smoked 1/2 chicken, some country style pork ribs and a small chuck roast just to try and get a feel for how this smoker works. I usually set the thermostat at 225 to start and tend to turn it down during the smoking process. I've noticed that the temperature in the box seems to go way higher then the 225 (260-270 range). Is this normal?

I have since found the documentation on adjusting the thermostat which I am in the process of doing right now.  If I set it at 225 then what temperature range should I expect??

Thanks,

Don

Welcome Don. My first two smokes I was concerned and a little pissed about the temperature swings. After tasting the results of those meals and the ones since I do not worry about it. In fact I quit paying attention to it. I only monitor the internal meat temp now.

Hi Don!  First, let me say how incredibly jealous I am of your lifestyle.  Idaho is beautiful, and must feel like living in paradise to be there retired!  Congrats on that, and your new #2!

The temp swings are normal, but it will "average-out" to the set temp.  The FAQs on the SI site actually say this:

"The temperature can sway 30-40 degrees either way from the set point. This is caused by heat still being produced by the wood box after the thermostat has been turned off. This is normal in any electric smoker."

The only way to hold really tight temps is to use the Auber external controller.  But, even without it, you'll learn to not worry about box temp, and just focus on internal temp of the meat.  The FAQ statement is being really cautious.  I don't think any of us experience swings that large, consistently.  My #1 holds within 10°, with an occasional spike more than that.  After a few smokes, I just didn't worry about it anymore, and rarely even use the box temp probe on the Maverick.

Throw us some pics of paradise and your successes, when able!

You will find that the range of the temp swings will decrease as the meat in your smoker heats up.

With cold meat in a cold smoker (recommended), you're going to see some good swings. But it is normal and will produce some great BBQ.

Also, I think the swings in the #3 are higher than the #1/#2 based what I have read here.

Aubers are great, but really not necessary to make great BBQ with these smokers.

Back