Another experiment - 3 Little Pigs!

RG 2.0

As y'all may know by now I like to experiment quite a bit. Sometimes I luck up and find something worth repeating. This may have been one of those times.

I had my wife put a butt on the Smokin-It #3 last night, she normally cooks on her Keg but lately has been using the SI. I was in the mood for a good BBQ sammie but I wanted to try something off of the beaten path. That got the old wheels turning.

I woke up this morning and made Bacon Jam with Jack Daniels Whiskey in it! Good stuff! I took said bacon jam and spread it on the bottom bun of a nice sub roll and topped it with some smoked pulled pork. On the top bun I put smoked provolone cheese and some Boars Head shaved ham. Toasted it in the oven and then made a BLT of sorts out of it! I added some tomato slices and lettuce and a little mayo.

My goodness was it good! I ate one and was too full to eat anything else. I made a pot of Brunswick stew to go along with it but it'll have to wait!

jammie01.jpg

jammie02.jpg

jammie03.jpg

jammie04.jpg

jammie05.jpg

jammie06.jpg

jammie07.jpg

I was totally "in," til the mayo!  >:( lol!  That looks really, really good!  I'd also love to hear more about the bacon jam!

Tony, you crack me up with your hatred of mayo :P You can't have a blt w/o mayo!

As for the recipe, I used THIS

The only difference is that I used Jack Daniels #7 Whiskey since I didn't have any bourbon. I also cut the amount to 1/4 cup instead of using 1/2 like the recipe called for. Glad I did, 1/2 would've been too much for my tastes. I just wanted a hint of it and that's what I got! Good stuff! My son ate all but what you see that I used on that sammich! Ate it with a damn spoon right out of the container I put it in no less, lol.

Wow, Jason!  I'm not a bourbon guy, but I have to try that!  And yes, it's OK to have a BLT without mayo...just use a little ranch dressing! ;)

Wow, that bacon jam looks good. There are so many uses for it, but i can see this being amazing on pork. What's better than pork complimented with more pork. It's like being in piggy heaven.

I checked out the recipe and I will make half of the batch with a bit more heat for my personal taste.

Jason, that looks awesome! Great job on stretching the envelope!  :) I personally think we need an intervention to get Tony over his Mayo aversion.... LOL.  ;)

Bacon jam!  Yum!  Thanks Jason!  I used the full 1/2 cup of bourbon and do not have any overpowering bourbon taste. FYI. Very tasty. Haven't made a sandwich yet but have had a couple of sweet spoonfuls.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 270
While that is a fine looking sandwich I'm a little pissed.

I thought I was going to see there suckling pigs smoked to perfection laid out on a platter.

Pork Belly said:
While that is a fine looking sandwich I'm a little pissed.

I thought I was going to see there suckling pigs smoked to perfection laid out on a platter.

Oh, that's so wrong!  But, oh, so..deliciously...wrong! ;) ;D ;D

I think it would be awesome, little personal pick picking. You could hold the head and chew on it like a meat apple. But again that is a great looking sandwich.

Back