Angus Chuck Roast

AlinMA

I recently smoked an Angus Chuck Roast that came out real good. The specifics follow....
The roast was 2.5 lbs and was smoked at 200 degrees for 1.5 hours to a finished temp.of 131 degrees.
I borrowed Tony's brisket injection recipe (Thanks Tony) and plugged the holes with slivers of garlic and them rubbed it with the following home made concoction.
1/3 cup of fine sea salt
1/3 cup of Demerara sugar ground to the consistency of the salt
1/4 cup of Hungarian paprika
1 tbs of black pepper
1 tbs of granulated garlic
2 tsp of white pepper
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of Worcestershire powder
1/2 tsp of ground bay leaf
1/2 tsp of ground Thyme

The only change I would make would be to remove the roast 3 or 4 degrees sooner.

Attachments

• AngusChuck0906151.jpg
    AngusChuck0906151.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 437
  • AngusChuck0906152.jpg
    AngusChuck0906152.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 393
  • AngusChuck0906153.jpg
    AngusChuck0906153.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 400
  • AngusChuck0906154.jpg
    AngusChuck0906154.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 476
I've never done a chuck with my super "low and slow" method, Al, but it looks great!  How was it for tenderness?  Chucks usually take a little more to make them tender, or at least I thought! ???

DivotMaker said:
I've never done a chuck with my super "low and slow" method, Al, but it looks great!  How was it for tenderness?  Chucks usually take a little more to make them tender, or at least I thought! ???
This is the 2nd chuck roast that I've done at "low and slow" and although I didn't think that it was as good as the 1st the tenderness was certainly well with in what the wife (not chewy) and I like. I was a bit disappointed in that I expected more from an Angus Chuck than Prime but that could be due to meat itself. The only difference in the smoke was 4 oz of cherry vs 3.5 oz of apple respectively and finished temp. of 135 opposed to 131 for the Angus. Both were rested for about .5 hours.

What USDA grade was this one, Al?  Since Angus is a type of cow, not a USDA grade, it would have been Select, Choice or Prime.  Just wondering if it was a lesser-grade that made the difference, not the fact that this one was Angus?

Back