8.5 lb Butt, almost ready

jdiver

My Butt I put in last night is moving along nicely. But got a question I hope one of you see soon...

I have two of the Maverick 733 probes in it, but set for 195. They have been reading a constant 8 or 9 degrees f off. One is at 180 and the other at 172.

So if the higher reaches 195 way before the other do I pull it? Or wait at least for the lower to get closer to 195?

Different areas of the butt may be cooking differently.  I would go with the probe closest to the center of the butt, assuming that it is inserted about half way into the meat.    The two temps may not sway off by much after the butt moves past the stall.  Hang in there!

I would wrap it in foil and rest it for at least an hour when you get to 200. Cooking will continue due to the carryover heat. Double wrap in heavy foil and wrap it in towels or the smoker dialed back to 140.

Thanks, do plan to wrap it and let sit a while. Right now one probe is 192 and the other is 183. It smells so good.

My Butt came out wonderful, juicy, lots of taste. Pulled it out when it was 198 and 189. Bone just pulls away from the meat.

Total smoke time about 18 hours

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 322
Well I've not done a butt before, in the smoker. But this was moist, very. So I think I'll likely brine it again.

And my wife loved it also.

Getting lots of meals out of this Butt... Vac sealed up a few packages and put them in the freezer. Had some last night again, and left more out for the weekend.

That takes some of the sting out of the high cost of meat :) So does the flavor :)

jdiver said:
Getting lots of meals out of this Butt... Vac sealed up a few packages and put them in the freezer. Had some last night again, and left more out for the weekend.

That takes some of the sting out of the high cost of meat :) So does the flavor :)

A great way to reheat pulled pork is to put a little apple juice in the bottom of a crock pot, put the meat in, and let it slow cook for a few hours on low.  Comes out really moist!  Some also just put the vac bags in boiling water, but I haven't tried that yet.

The apple juice would add a nice flavor also. Another way I reheat, if I want it as PP. In a Sous Vide bath. Another low and slow. Low temp water bath for a long enough time.

But one meal I like using the pulled pork is, stir fry cabbage, maybe other veg, add rice, and toss in the pork. Let it blend together. Season with Shoyu (soy sauce).

jdiver said:
The apple juice would add a nice flavor also. Another way I reheat, if I want it as PP. In a Sous Vide bath. Another low and slow. Low temp water bath for a long enough time.

But one meal I like using the pulled pork is, stir fry cabbage, maybe other veg, add rice, and toss in the pork. Let it blend together. Season with Shoyu (soy sauce).

Great ideas - you obviously don't need any help on this topic! :-[  The stir fry is a great idea!

Back