7 lb pork butt this weekend

McSev2010

Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have a local independent butcher like some of my other smokin' pals - and I get really envious of that fact.  Yesterday, I went into our Weis supermarket hoping to find a bone in pork butt and instead found pork shoulder and petite boneless crock pork butts - not what I wanted.  I happened to see the Weis butchers behind the counter and asked them, "Hey, do you all have any bone in pork butts?"  Imagine my shock when they asked me how big I wanted one to be :)  They actually pulled fresh meat from their huge fridge I never knew they have, and cut me one when I told them I wanted it for smoking.  I ended up with a fantastic piece of meat which I smoked with white oak and alder for 10 hours/220F,  then put in the crock pot overnight on warm.  When we got up this morning, the meat had shredded itself.

Used spicy mustard to coat, injected lightly with apple juice and rubbed with Chub Rub. Happy RedZone Football Sunday!

Attachments

• 1385550_10201583984934646_1304077099_n.jpg
    1385550_10201583984934646_1304077099_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 339
Sounds great, McSev!  You never know what treasures you'll find at the local supermarket butcher shops!  Harp's is a locally-owned chain in NW Arkansas that has excellent meat.  They never sell anything with additives, and the butchers will cut just about anything I want.  I also get some really nice cuts at Sam's Club.  Their meat is a "cut above" anything they sell at WalMart. 

Back