5# Bone On Pork Butt

What kind of cut is it?  5 lbs is small for a true Boston butt.  You may actually have a picnic cut (which is the lower part of the shoulder, down the leg).  Anything under 7 lbs will be unpredictable on timing.  Just to be safe, I would allow as much as 2.5-3 hours/lb.  When it hits 190, double-wrap in heavy-duty foil, place a towel in an empty cooler, then the butt, then another towel on top.  Let it rest at least an hour.  Pull, and enjoy!

I've been playing around with this. Check out my latest results.....they may help you out.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4921.0

DivotMaker said:
What kind of cut is it?  5 lbs is small for a true Boston butt.  You may actually have a picnic cut (which is the lower part of the shoulder, down the leg).  Anything under 7 lbs will be unpredictable on timing.  Just to be safe, I would allow as much as 2.5-3 hours/lb.  When it hits 190, double-wrap in heavy-duty foil, place a towel in an empty cooler, then the butt, then another towel on top.  Let it rest at least an hour.  Pull, and enjoy!

+1

You may have a halved Boston Butt. Some of our stores here sell them that way.

If it is a picnic, I would use the same brine and smoke technique, but smoke to 175 and slice it. Picnics are better slicers than pullers.

NDKoze said:

That makes me feel....oh...so....sad! :'(  Oh the humanity!!  Why would anyone do that to you??

DivotMaker said:
NDKoze said:

That makes me feel....oh...so....sad! :'(  Oh the humanity!!  Why would anyone do that to you??

I was thinking the same thing. My son works as a part-time butcher at a grocery store while he is in college and he texted me last week saying that they are "making" him cut these beautiful butts in half and he was having a hard time understanding it too. They were on sale for $0.99/pound, so I had him hold two double cryo vac'd packs for me. They look just like the butts I get from Sam's Club. So, I saved 4 butts at least. :) I didn't have time to smoke any of them yet, but my freezer is happy.

I guess it is for consumers who prefer the smaller roasts. If you're just going to throw it in a crock pot or oven, I guess it doesn't matter as much. But "Oh the Humanity" is right.

Back