3D won't turn on. Where do I start?

Limey said:
It looks as if the burnt out wire is one of the two wires with high temperature covering that connect to the element. If this is the case then I recall that a few other forum members have had the same problem. Might be a good thing to check first and might be good to alert Steve from a Q.C point of view.

it is the wire to the element . steve was onthe phone with me when i figured it out
thanks

I now have the same issue with my 2YO 4D.  I prepped and was ready to cook 3 racks of ribs for a party and Bam, no power.  I got ahold of Steve and he gave me 1 thing to try but that wasn't the issue.  I guess I'll need to reach out again.  Very frustrating to have this happen on a 2 YO unit. 

You have probably already done this but if not, check your outlet with a device that works like a lamp or radio or something. You did not mention what Steve suggested so I am going to suggest you use a multi-meter and check for continuity of all the wiring and resistance of the switch and heating element.  I would check the power cord first, then the switch for proper operation as in open and closed, and go on from there. If you have not used a multi meter, here is a useful link.  There are many more. 
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter

Well i got 14 good months and it's acting up again. it's still working but it's starting down the same path as last time. right now the unit is working but the Pid doesnt seem to recognize the probe when i put it in. it gives the -H- error like it does when you dont put the probe in,(pic provided)  but the probe is there.

there was a puddle of water on top of the unit under the cover when i pulled it off. the night it's acting up.

1. pulled the pid. everything looks dry and clean
2. pulled off the back and had the 2 wires burnt (see pic)- replaced one red crimp, other one is working from plug in.
3. little box light on, - steve told me to make sure the light was on and it is (pic 3)

where to go now? my 3D is acting like a 3.  I was going to buy a new probe and try that. i figured that was short money but if anyone has better ideas, i am listening

Attachments

• wires .jpg
    wires .jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 319
  • pid.jpg
    pid.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 313
  • unit .jpg
    unit .jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 281
Back