3am pork butt

va_rider

I've got people coming over this afternoon for a Single Cask Nation Scotch tasting, so last minute decided to smoke a butt for afterwards.  Got it prepped and rubbed  after dinner last night, then on the smoker at 3 this morning.

She's chugging right along now.  Last one I did, I pulled it around 170 and wrapped it in butcher paper.  I think I'll probably let it get closer to 180 before wrapping his time. The bark was a bit soft last time.

Attachments

• IMG_20161022_030331.jpg
    IMG_20161022_030331.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 354
  • 147713686006469664309.jpg
    147713686006469664309.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 405
You didn't say how big that butt was but with the stall you might be cutting it close. If you are fortunate to allow it to go to 190 even better. But then again, the folks might be getting too hungry to wait.  :o Just so I can live vicariously, what Scotch are you tasting?

It's a bit over 8lbs...but with the butcher paper wrap.. I'm not too worried about it being late. Also, it doesn't need to be ready until 6ish... After the tasting.

The Scotch will be the full product line from Single Cask Nation, to include their 28 year that was just released this week.  Should be about 12 bottles in all.

Here you go Bob... I... uhh... got a little distracted and didn't take a picture of the finished pork, but it was amazing. I did take this picture for you though.

Attachments

• scotch.jpg
    scotch.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 406
Looks like a great evening, Aaron!  I'm not a Scotch guy, but I can certainly appreciate the great spread you laid out! 8)

BedouinBob said:
Nicely done Aaron! That is a nice looking spread. How was the butt?

The Butt was awesome. I've taken to wrapping them in butcher paper when they get to about 180... they've been incredibly juicy.

I didn't brine this one, but did the one before.. Can definitely notice a difference with the brine...  But time was a concern on this one.

Good to hear you've tried brining, Aaron.  To me, it eliminates the need for wrapping; it's moist enough without it.  Glad the butcher paper trick works out for you on the un-brined butts!

Looks like an outstanding experience for all.  12 shots of scotch would make a smoked boot taste pretty day good I bet!

TexasSMK said:
Looks like an outstanding experience for all.  12 shots of scotch would make a smoked boot taste pretty day good I bet!

HA! The COO from Single Cask Nation came over to run the tasting. He was pouring 1/4 oz samples, which is definitely plenty to get the taste of each one, without getting you incoherent.

I am a fan of scotch, but don't know that maker.
I have done a couple tastings with whiskeys from highland, lowland and isle. Just please, not too much peat.

Back