3 Racks of Baby Backs with Jeff Phillips' Rub

DivotMaker

I put on 3 racks of really good-looking baby backs at 11 a.m. this morning!  I'm using "Jeff's Naked Rub" on these.  Minimal prep, due to time constraints.  Unwrapped and trimmed the ribs, rubbed (with a yellow mustard binder), and threw in the smoker.  2 1/2 oz of hickory @ 225.  Should be tasting some tender goodness about 5 o'clock!  Used Foster's in the water pan.

Attachments

• BBs Jeffs rub.jpg
    BBs Jeffs rub.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 558
Another Smokin-It success!  Took the ribs off at 5:45 total cook time.  Jeff's rub is very good - this is the first time I've used it just as written in the recipe.  You can find it at www.smoking-meat.com.  I can't reprint it, as he sells his rub & sauce recipes.  Let's just say, it's worth a look!  The baby backs were tender and juicy (as usual), and the rub tasted great.  Topped them off with my St Louis sauce. 

Attachments

• bbs jeff done.jpg
    bbs jeff done.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 571
  • bb jeff eatable.jpg
    bb jeff eatable.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 546
BTW, I did open up at 4 1/2 hours and spritz with apple cider.  Other than that, there was no other human intervention! ;)

Great job...I can smell them through the pictures!  I love Jeff's naked rub, it's the only one that I use.  Tomorrow I have two sausage fatty's on deck with Jeff's rub and sauce.

DM  Good looking ribs makes me hungry, I have heard about jeffs rub would you call it a sweet rub (lots of sugar) or is it more of a spicy rub.

Jeff's rub starts with a good dose of dark brown sugar and paprika, but also include hotter spices like cayenne.  I would recommend giving it a try and you can always adjust to fit your taste.  It's the only rub that I use, but you can also find good rubs in the recipe section of this forum.

Yes, Mark, it's a sweet AND spicy rub!  I was impressed.  I bought the recipe a few months ago, but just now tried it.  I thought it would be too spicy, but it's not (at least for me).  Sounds like a lot of pepper and cayenne, but it's quite good on the bark.  I'd definitely recommend it!

Tony
I tried jeffs recipe a bit too spicy for my family and I.
btw, you have hooked me on 5 hours no peeky. I have added 15 minutes. This method is foolproof. Fall off the bone good. The bark is outstanding. The little water pan is the secret.

Ed, I would imagine Jeff's rub is a bit spicy for some - I bet it'd still be good with a little less of the "heat" ingredients! 

Glad to hear you're a "no peeky" convert!  It really is the fool-proof way to go!  Simple is good. ;D

Good news, Ed.  This is the first rub I've used chili powder in, along with the other peppers.  Definitely has a bite!

Back