3-2-1 was great

G man

A few weeks ago did some baby backs....Brined, then smoked for 5 hours....  They were ok. 

At Costco on Saturday, picked up the pre rubbed spares.  When I got home, I removed the membrane and put on more rub with mustard.  Wrapped and went in fridge overnight.  Decided to go with the 3-2-1 method temp 235 and was glad I did.  Everything was top notch.  Much better imho vs. baby

First pic, going in.  Second pic after three hours.  Last pic 6 hours (blurred like I was).

Attachments

• 20160410_081153.jpg
    20160410_081153.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 20160410_111659.jpg
    20160410_111659.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 20160410_142924 (1).jpg
    20160410_142924 (1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 433
Nice job Gordo! the ribs look great. You will have a lot of people with a lot of different opinions telling you what is the best way to smoke baby backs and spare ribs. Some say foil, some say, no peek etc... I think you did the right thing by experimenting with both ways (even though they were two different cuts) and finding what works best for you. Personally, I cook my baby backs 5-5 1/2 hours no peek but prefer St. Louis  cut Spare ribs and I cook them using 3-2-1 method. Keeping experimenting and find what you like best. 

Grampy said:
Nice job Gordo! the ribs look great. You will have a lot of people with a lot of different opinions telling you what is the best way to smoke baby backs and spare ribs. Some say foil, some say, no peek etc... I think you did the right thing by experimenting with both ways (even though they were two different cuts) and finding what works best for you. Personally, I cook my baby backs 5-5 1/2 hours no peek but prefer St. Louis  cut Spare ribs and I cook them using 3-2-1 method. Keeping experimenting and find what you like best. 

+1 I think everyone should at least try both methods to figure out which one they like the best. There is only one right way to do it and that is the way you like it best.

On a side note: Really Costco? You are going to prerub the ribs for me, but not take off the silver skin?

NDKoze said:
Grampy said:

+1 I think everyone should at least try both methods to figure out which one they like the best. There is only one right way to do it and that is the way you like it best.

On a side note: Really Costco? You are going to prerub the ribs for me, but not take off the silver skin?

Exactly on Costco.  I talked to them yesterday....They woman "thought" they removed the membrane from the ones NOT rubbed.....but didn't on the pre rubbed....Makes no sense!!

Not that it is that hard, but it would be nice if they would remove them from all of them. But, I haven't really seen anywhere that does that for un-prepped ribs.

They do not take the membrane off of the un-prepped ribs at my Costco. I have never bought the pre-rubbed ribs though, so not sure if they take the membrane off here or not. If a store was to take the membrane off either of them, you would think they would remove the membrane from the ones that they add the rub to instead of the naked ones.

Back