3-2-1 St. Louis Style Ribs

CUTiger80

From reading previous posts I know that a lot of guys on this forum are not a fan of this method, but I have so many friends that swear by it, that I had to give it a try.  So I did this past weekend.
I applied mustard & rub and wrapped and left in fridge overnight.
Put in the smoker at 225, bone side down on top rack (I only did 1 rack for this experiment).
After 3 hours, as quickly as possible, I opened the smoker & removed the ribs then closed the smoker to minimize heat loss.  On foil, I put a small amount of brown sugar, a couple of pats of butter, a little rub and laid the rib sections meat side down.  I wrapped up the foil to form a tent (not tight on the top) and placed them back in the smoker, meat side down and let them go for 2 hours at 225.
Again, I quickly removed the foil pouches from the smoker & closed the door.  I removed the foil and placed the ribs back into the smoker meat side up for 1 hour.
I checked the tenderness of the meat with a toothpick and pulled them after 1 hour.
The results were outstanding.  The meat was very tender and tasty.  They were probably not as "barky" as some people like, but I thought that they were fine.
I have 2 more racks in the freezer and next time I will compare the "no-peek" and "3-2-1" methods and settle this once and for all (for me).
Wondering if it will be a true test since I will interrupt the no-peek when I open the smoker to remove & replace the "3-2-1" ribs.
Sorry, only 1 picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• 2015-02-21 19.20.39.jpg
    2015-02-21 19.20.39.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 442
That is a great way to cook ribs. Always comes out good and fall off the bone. I usually do 2.5-2.5.1 for spares and St. Louis, and, 2-1-1 for baby backs. When I got my SI though I became a member of the Lazy-Q club. Put it in and forget about it for 5 hours. Not fall off the bone, but a little pull off the bone. Fantastic. That's why many on here don't believe in foiling.

Arnie,
So what you are saying is that it is not that the 3-2-1 method produces inferior quality ribs, it is just that it takes more work to get there, but the quality (if you like fall-off-the-bone ribs) may be a little better and more predictable.

This is really a personal preference, and I am glad you are trying it both ways. That is really the only way to find out which way you and your family prefer your ribs.

I have uses the 2/2/1 and 3/2/1 in m previous smokers because I had to to get acceptable results. But, I have not even bothered trying it in my #3 just because I don't want to go through the hassle of foiling anymore and my ribs are very acceptable with the no peak and my family really loves the bark.

So, while some will say foiling is the "F" word (for me it is), I defer to personal preference on this one.

I will be interested to see the results of your side by side.

The results may be slightly skewed because it won't be a true no-peak. But, as long as you really try to limit the amount of the time the door is open, I don't think it will skew the results that bad.

Gregg,
Thanks for your comments.  They are always appropriate and encouraging.
I have tried the no-peek method 3 times.  I have always bought St. Louis Style ribs.  I have had 2 smokes where the ribs came out tough & chewy (probably didn't cook them long enough) and once they came out perfect.  That is the main reason why I decided to try the 3-2-1 because I was tired of experimenting, and I didn't know when to tell my wife that dinner would be ready.
Do you ever get to the point where you know (within 30 minutes or so) that the ribs will be done, every time?  If so, I will work on my timing a little more and get it down to a process rather than an ongoing experiment.
Also, you mention 2-2-1.  I assume that is for baby backs and they don't require as much time because they are more meaty and don't have as much connective tissue to break down?
Thanks again for your help and the help of so many others on this forum.

Ravel,
Ribs rest in foil as well as any other meat.  So, regardless of 3-2-1 or no-peek, ribs can be scheduled to be done an hour or 2 before dinner and stored in the cooler like a butt.  Nobody should have to wait on the meat for dinner time. 

Regarding side by side comparison, I did the one rack of ribs using the no-peek and concluded that I care for bark on my ribs, period.  I don't think you have to cook both ways at the same time to figure it out.  It is essentially tug versus fall off the bone and bark versus no bark.  If you know your preferences, it is an easy decision to make. 

I used to use 2-2-1 in my propane smoker and smoked at higher temps that fluctuated a lot more. But, depending on results, you may find that 2-2-1 might be enough for Baby Backs. You're probably going to need 3-2-1 for St Louis cut ribs and maybe still for baby backs though.

Dave is right about resting the ribs in the foil. That can work very well no matter whether you use 3-2-1 or no peak.

It is hard to get the times too tight because of the differences in one piece of meat verses another even with the same cut. One of the toughest rib smokes I have done was with some Baby Backs that I got from Sam's Club which is usually very good meat.

I also know that many people have switched over to 235 for their ribs. But for whatever reason, I have had better results when I smoke at 225. I tried 235 for St Louis Cut and Baby Backs, and for me I still prefer 225. They take a little longer. My St Louis Cut ribs generally take 6-7 hours. But, I am pretty tight within that timeframe. I just know that I need to start 7.0-7.5 hours prior to my meal time. This allows for a 30-60 minute rest in foil if I need to.

Dave,
Thanks for the feedback.  For some reason, I never considered holding them over like I rest a butt.
I know I have seen a lot of times and temps for ribs using no-peek, but how do you normally smoke (spare, St. Louis, BB ribs; 225 or 235 deg; 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 hours before testing, etc.)?  I can't imagine that the smoker (#1, #2, #3, etc.) makes that much difference as long as the temperature remains consistent throughout the smoke.
Maybe I should start a poll to get feedback, just for fun.  (I think Gregg has already voiced his vote.)

CUTiger80 said:
but how do you normally smoke (spare, St. Louis, BB ribs; 225 or 235 deg; 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 hours before testing, etc.)?
You really threw a monkey wrench in that question with your other post.  Now we have to factor in rack placement vs. Auber probe location.  LOL!  I think we all have our own rituals that work for us.  Gregg nailed that part.  We trial and error until we get to where they turnout the way WE LIKE.  I, for example, cook in the 230 - 235 range for 3 hours, foil and put in the oven at 250 to finish.  I start checking them about 1 1/2 hours after they've gone into the oven. 

CUTiger80 said:
Dave,
Thanks for the feedback.  For some reason, I never considered holding them over like I rest a butt.
I know I have seen a lot of times and temps for ribs using no-peek, but how do you normally smoke (spare, St. Louis, BB ribs; 225 or 235 deg; 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 hours before testing, etc.)?  I can't imagine that the smoker (#1, #2, #3, etc.) makes that much difference as long as the temperature remains consistent throughout the smoke.
Maybe I should start a poll to get feedback, just for fun.  (I think Gregg has already voiced his vote.)

To be fair, I think the analog controller on my #3 is a little off. This Spring when the weather is nicer, I am going to do some testing and use the FAQ Guide from the SI site to adjust the nob on my SI 10 degrees. So, as my current smoker works, when I set mine to 225, it may actually be averaging more like 215. This would explain why my ribs can take up to 7 hours long and my pork butt smokes take a good 2.0-2.5 hours per pound.

You have to try different ways and see what you like better. Not just for ribs but other meats and cuts as well. Better is a relative term so find what you and your family like. Switch it up sometimes just to different.

CUTiger80 said:
Arnie,
So what you are saying is that it is not that the 3-2-1 method produces inferior quality ribs, it is just that it takes more work to get there, but the quality (if you like fall-off-the-bone ribs) may be a little better and more predictable.

Ravel, foiled ribs are certainly not "inferior."  Those that like less bark, and don't mind all the work to do 3-2-1, more power to them!  There is no "right way" or "wrong way" in BBQ! :D

What it boils down to is what you find that works best for you!  Personally, I tried all the traditional methods, like 321, 221, spritz, mop, blah, blah, blah, and found they a) weren't worth the effort for the results they produced, and b) produced inferior results.  Once I realized how tight these smokers are, and by preparing the meat properly and adding a juice pan, the results were better, and consistent.

Your comment about 3-2-1 giving more "predictable" fall-off-the-bone results, imo, is incorrect.  Good smoking technique, and knowing (through experience) when your ribs are correctly done, are what gives predictability - not any "particular" method.  If you like the results with 3-2-1, get good at knowing when it's right.  If you like the extra bark and results with "no peek," get good at that.  Hone your method to what you like, not what we like. ;)

Back