2 Pork Butts 16lbs - No wrap

Golfer1659

Haven’t posted in a while but have been smoking a ton over the years.

Today I’m doing two pork butts totaling 16lbs.  I am going to go with an internal temp of 195 and not wrapping in Tin foil at 190 and bringing it to 205 which has worked in the past.

I use a Yellow mustard as a base and some bbq rub.  Going to go With a low and slower cook of 225 degrees and using about 5.7 ounces of hickory.  Also using two water trays possibly filled with beer or water.

Attachments

• EEC8E407-6C7A-4314-A9F7-2026875EE2D9.jpeg
    EEC8E407-6C7A-4314-A9F7-2026875EE2D9.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 333
Golfer1659 said:
Haven’t posted in a while but have been smoking a ton over the years.

Today I’m doing two pork butts totaling 16lbs.  I am going to go with an internal temp of 195 and not wrapping in Tin foil at 190 and bringing it to 205 which has worked in the past.

I use a Yellow mustard as a base and some bbq rub.  Going to go With a low and slower cook of 225 degrees and using about 5.7 ounces of hickory.  Also using two water trays possibly filled with beer or water.

I'm confused (also old), shooting for 195 and NOT wrapping in foil at 190 and bringing it to 205?  I have only had one beer so help me out here.  Otherwiwis, 195/205 sound pretty good for pulled pork ;D

I used to wrap at 190 and bring it up to 205 so that it didn’t dry out at all and add some water or beer or apple juice to the wrapped tin foil.  Just going back to the straight cook no wrap

I think you have a good plan.  I never wrap my butts. I take them to 200 to 203 and they are always tender.  I usually do the boneless form Costco and have a tough time holding the butt together when pulling it off the rack.

I brine my butts for 24 hours, then truss them up with butchers string. No added moisture in smoker.  No wrap, always moist and no problem to get them off the racks.

Is the really a need for the twine?  I have some, just never felt the need to use it.  I just know to tuck the muscles together as I remove it from the grate. I have this (unproven) theory that I get a little more surface to smoke area.

I should add that I do wrap when I let it rest and before I pull it.

I think trussing the meat with twine makes it cook as a whole muscle so it cooks evenly.
Muscles contract unevenly when cooking so things may not stay tucked away.

Back